first chunk votive

Well I tried my first chunk votive and I am not happy with it. Only thing I did like were the colors I used. I did a layer of pink, then blue, then pink & blue together on top with a clear overpour using 90% 474/ 10% 444. I wasn't real sure what temp to pour so I tried 165*. The pink chunks were thinner and smaller than the blue ones. What is really kinda neat about it is the pink melted when I did the overpour and it just kinda flowed between the blue chunks and the clear overpour in a couple of place, I think its kinda neat actually. Not sure how that happened cuz I thought 165* was kinda a close range (maybe not). I didn't use FO since I am just trying to figure this chunky stuff out.

Anyway, there are some little pin holes on the side like 4 or 5 of them. Is this normal for a chunk candle??? I would post a pic but my son has my camera.

thanks

nitra

ok maybe i didnt word that correctly about the pin holes on the sides....i guess what i am trying to ask is ....because the overpour wax has to go 'around' the chunks is this what could have caused them or would it be because i just poured in the center and not 'around' so to speak. oh heck i dunno what i mean at this point, i'll figure it out tomorrow im tired lol

ok maybe i didnt word that correctly about the pin holes on the sides....i guess what i am trying to ask is ....because the overpour wax has to go 'around' the chunks is this what could have caused them or would it be because i just poured in the center and not 'around' so to speak. oh heck i dunno what i mean at this point, i'll figure it out tomorrow im tired lol

Yeah, you probably got bubbles trapped under the chunks on the side. Tough to avoid.

Keep experimenting!

Tony