wintertime vs summertime wicking

Searching thru the archives I saw a post about summertime vs wintertime wicking. It said.......

I have two choices: Wick for summertime (which is when I sell a LOT of candles at farmer's market -- also I have a lot of website customers who live in the desert southwest where it's hot). Then the candles will burn a bit more slowly in winter and might leave a bit of hang-up on the jars.OR I can wick hotter for wintertime burning in colder climates, and risk having people's jars getting too hot and cracking in summer/warmer climates.For me, I'd rather be safe and risk having slight hang-up over letting jars get too hot with bigger wicks

ok my question is this......i started making candles this past fall, i would like to hear everyones opinions on what their idea of a hot jar is (I am sure everyone has different opinions, maybe not) Also, does this mean I have to retest all scents for summertime months considering I started in the fall/winter

If this sounds like a stupid question then just overlook it. thanks

i would like to hear everyones opinions on what their idea of a hot jar is..

To me, a "hot jar" is when it's too hot to the touch, too hot to pick up. In that case, wick down. While climate temps have a lot to do with a candle's appearance (i.e. frosting, sink holes...), I've never heard of Summer vs Winter wicking. Outdoor temps don't have anything to do with how hot or cold a candle burns.

HTH

Actually, I've seen a big difference between summer/winter burning, but usually only on candles that were marginal/hard to wick in the first place. Colder wax burns slower - that's why you see so many sites recommend "put candle in fridge first to make it burn longer". I've even seen a difference from the cool basement to the warmer first floor as well.

We don't have air conditioning, so there's a huge difference in the house between winter and summer. And most of the people I made candles for had the same setup. People with air conditioning/central heat might not see that much difference inside.

I'd rather have the hangup. I've found customers don't usually burn correctly anyway, so they're probably getting more hangup that I expect. A little more doesn't hurt.

I have noticed considerable differences with soy and burning in temps below 70 degrees as opposed to over 70 degrees. I can take a 16 oz jar of 415 soy with 6% FO with two CD12 wicks and if its over 70 degrees in my house it will burn beautifully. Now if the Temp falls under 70 which in most large houses with a lot of windows and wood floors such as mine. It will have hang up and the same wicks will start to putter out. I have tested and tested and get the same results. Soy wax is more tempermental to wick during the winter. I have spoken with others that have the same problem. That is what stinks about working with 100% soy instead of a CB. But I prefer the challange.

It is just not cool making an overwicked or underwicked candle period, but we are our own worst critics! You are right though Robin people are just careless when burning. I know I have bought Y***ee's that have tunneled easily and created a lot of soot so not every candle can be perfect everytime.