melt pool

So I know that the perfect melt pool is 1/2" or a little less (from what I've read)...now my candles average around 1/4"....anything that gets me even close to 1/2" makes for a too hot container....I have had some candles not throw as well and I'm guessing it's having a shallow melt pool and I burn off the FO too fast...I have yet to find a suitable wick to get closer to that 1/2" without burning my fingers on the glass.....not sure what I'm asking...just posting my frustrating results....

C

What size jar do you use, what wick are you using, and do you double or single wick? I had trouble with double wicking 3 1/2 inch jars with LXs and HTPs. Either too deep a MP or drowning wicks. I finally have gotten good results with zinc cores wicks using 2 x 44-20-18 or 2 x 44-24-18. If I have a FO that throws really well, I can single wick with Premier 700s 795 or 798. BTW I use 415/402 blend.

geek

hey geek...I'm in the process of switching jars...but jelly jars, votive cups, they all have gotten too hot with a variety of wicks that I've tested....always end up with a hot jar even when there is plenty of hang up. I'm switching to tumblers and 1 other style of jar...I'm torn on what I'm choosing though...can't make up my mind to save my life!