I made my first batch of CP soap

littysmom

Wow that was interesting!! I made my own receipe too..how does this sound to any of u experts!! i changed my weights to oz

40 oz Olive oil

20oz cocnut oil

20oz soybean

2oz of castor oil

1 oz coc butter

31.54 oz h2o

11.592 Lye

Now after all that, I need to know , what should i be looking for. Its been 5hrs. Its all nice and warm. in the oven. If you leave the oven light on, it keeps it nice and warm. Anyway thats where i am.. Should it be getting hard at this point??? I am nervous, that it might not come out right. What should i be looking for, as far as knowing if i am on the right track here????:confused: Thanks Lisa

Hmm, I haven't run your recipe through the calculator, have you noticed if your soap is gelling or not?

It feels as tho it is setting up, just would like to know how hard it to should be . or if its supposed to be soft. I am in the dark as to how it is progressing. I am so hoppful for a good outcome... and thank yyou for your replyi used the Soapcal9 WP

It should not be "jiggly" but if you pressed on it your finger would make an indention.

I use similar ingredients and I cut mine in 24 hours. When you cut it and unmold it will have a consistency of cheese.

Did you wash your pot out yet? That was always my indicator when I first started making soap. I would leave the oils in the pot for 24 hours and wash out before I cut the soap. If it was sudsy and felt good I knew that it was okay.

Welcome to the wonderful world of soapmaking! :D

Jennifer

It should not be "jiggly" but if you pressed on it your finger would make an indention.

I use similar ingredients and I cut mine in 24 hours. When you cut it and unmold it will have a consistency of cheese.

Did you wash your pot out yet? That was always my indicator when I first started making soap. I would leave the oils in the pot for 24 hours and wash out before I cut the soap. If it was sudsy and felt good I knew that it was okay.

Welcome to the wonderful world of soapmaking! :D

Jennifer

yep my finger makes an indent.. so i guess that good!! Whooo, takes a load off! Now after you cut it what ,do u store it in? Has to cure for up to 6 wks Huh? Tha nk u thank u.

Once you cut it do not store it in anything until it is cured.

If you do not have a shelf or a drying rack you can use a baking rack, etc. to set the soap on so it can get airflow around it and dry.

It will not hurt you to use it earlier than 6 weeks. Granted, soap is like wine, the older it is the better it is... If you use it within a week or two the water will not be all the way evaporated so it will be a bit softer and will not last as long. When you sell it that is when you stick to the 4-6 week cure time with normal recipes.

Sounds like you made soap! :D

Jennifer

Wow that was interesting!! I made my own receipe too..how does this sound to any of u experts!! i changed my weights to oz

40 oz Olive oil

20oz cocnut oil

20oz soybean

2oz of castor oil

1 oz coc butter

31.54 oz h2o

11.592 Lye

I ran it through soapmaker and the qualities look fine, however, I'd have used a lot less water (26.5 oz). The difference that makes is it takes longer for the bars to harden up.

Once you cut it do not store it in anything until it is cured.

If you do not have a shelf or a drying rack you can use a baking rack, etc. to set the soap on so it can get airflow around it and dry.

It will not hurt you to use it earlier than 6 weeks. Granted, soap is like wine, the older it is the better it is... If you use it within a week or two the water will not be all the way evaporated so it will be a bit softer and will not last as long. When you sell it that is when you stick to the 4-6 week cure time with normal recipes.

Sounds like you made soap! :D

Jennifer

Thanks for the great info.. i feel so much better!!