Any Ideas?

sudsy

I don't make candles but buy a lot of them. Some friends and I got some tarts that are doing a very funky thing. Once melted the wax is creeping up the sides of the container and drying out. It looks like vomit, and it smells off too. The tarts themselves seem dry and a bit flakey. Any ideas what's happening???

These are a parrafin blend.

ETA It almost looks like it's the FO left in the bottom after the wax creeps up the sides.

You sure it's not the burner itself? I got an electric burner once where only the middle melted and the sides only partially melted, but never fully...so you never got a full melt pool, in turn, you barely good smell the tarts. It was one of Yankee Candle's warmers and the wattage was too low to melt them completely so I returned it. That could be your problem as far as melting goes. I don't know about the tarts being off as far as scent is concerned...where did you get the tarts?

It's not the melter, it's happened to about five people in different parts of the country all friends of mine. Some using tealight melters and some electric.

I don't want to say where we got them so I don't ruffle feathers...it's a web store though.