Decent Show but Hot

sharyl55

I mean the weather was hot. Mid 70's here Sat. and I thing they had the heat on in the gym. I went through 4 bottles of water. Did do 6x booth fees and gave out lots of brochures for Memory Candles for Christmas presents. But man was it hot in that gym. Best sellers were anything I had a special deal on - reg. price $2 or buy 3 for $5. I gave every buyer a free tealight and they really seemed to appreciate it. Since it was so warm there was only 800 attendees so I felt like I did OK.

A note for those new to shows. Talk to the people as they walk by your table. Even if it is just to say Hello. An elderly couple had the table across from me selling some beautiful clocks. They sat in their chairs, never stood up when a customer stopped at their table, never talked to anyone and didn't have a single sale. I take a chair but always stand when anyone approaches my tables and I always say Hello to everyone that walks by. Customers want to know you are interested in their business. I'm not a good public speaker but I force myself to reach out to the people. Plaster a smile on your face and say Howdy. It really helps.

Sounds like it went well! I think your right about talking to customers as they walk by. At the shows I've gone to, If they dont acknowledge me, I usually wont buy anything or even go in. But if they're chatty and upbeat with me, I'll chat back and usually go in their booth even if it's something I'm not usually interested in. Warm? That must be nice..It was 45 and windy here.:)

Went to a street fair here yesterday and of course I checked out all the candle and bath product booths that were there - at least 6 or 7!!! This is the reason I don't sell at it. Anyway ... one booth we stopped at that was a walk-in type w/a side also open. There were candles and soaps - we picked up a candle to sniff and check out the price and did the same with a bar of soap.

- the guy at the back of the booth never got up out of his chair nor did he get off his cell phone!!

- he grumbled the price of the candle and the price of the soap - nothing had prices on it - then he continued his phone conversation

-the woman at the front of the booth never said a word!

we quickly turned around and walked away - I'd have to guess they made no money!

one booth had had no prices on anything - just a poster at the back hanging on the tarp with each item hand written w/a price. Not that a poster is a bad thing - but at least get someone that can write clearly!

one booth had everything set up with 'outside' viewing very neat and orderly - no walking in the booth. The woman that makes the products was there and obviously was working her customers. Saw a few people buying - we went up and were just looking at her products - mostly bath and body. She asked us at least 3 times if she could show us something or if we'd like a to try a tester - to me that was a little overkill.

To me you just have to gauge people as they walk up - like was said before, a nice hello, how are you, type of thing seems to draw more people in. But you can't get offended at the ones that don't come in at all - those are the ones that are there looking for particular crafts...my aunt is the queen of that game!