brand new here & to B&B

suzannep

I'm brand new here, as well as to bath and body. I am just starting out & in the research & testing phase. I'm assuming I have a good year to go before I feel I've done enough work, to put out products. I hope that as I learn along the way, I can somehow contribute here as well. I already have a question, that may sound dumb, but go easy on this newbie! So here goes:

This week I will start testing things to make body splashes or sprays. I have ordered tons of FO's from various suppliers(I can already see how addicting that habit is going to become!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) & I want to test each fragrance, label it & let it sit for a week or two, then go back & retest it. My question is: What kinds of bottles and sprayers tops do I use for testing purposes? Once I get further into this & get into packaging options, I will find the bottles I want to package finished products in. But for now, can I just use any cheap bottles I find to buy in bulk, to use for testing? How does everyone else do it? I can see where I overlooked that expense! As for lotions, I bought 1/2 ounce & 1/4 ounce sized jars & I've been labeling them by FO used & date made & I guess I'll check on them every week, for a few months & take notes. On those too: what kinds of jars/bottles do you use to "test" products when you were starting out? Thank you so much for allowing me to take up so much of your time!!!! suzanne p

Welcome! Sounds like you're starting to have fun already :) Good questions.

The type of bottle you finally place your product in has to be tested as well - there are times that you'll find that a fragrance or essential oil blend won't be compatible with the material - it will warp it, or turn it yellow. You'll need to test your final sprayers to make sure they don't clog up. You'll need to test on the final bottles to make sure they don't leak.

PET plastic bottles & jars usually won't have too much trouble with anything you throw at it.

You can test things like scent stability, or whether the scent stays blended or seperates out, or turns cloudy when you want it clear by using anything - I usually just use some kind of glass jar or bowl and cover it for those preliminary tests.

Have fun!

also make sure you test in a longer stage then just a week. make some products and then test them again in a few weeks/months. You wanna keep track on fragrance and depending on the product if they perform like they did from the start and things like being cloudy, changing color etc... It takes so much time but its fun and rewarding!!!

also make sure you test in a longer stage then just a week. make some products and then test them again in a few weeks/months. You wanna keep track on fragrance and depending on the product if they perform like they did from the start and things like being cloudy, changing color etc... It takes so much time but its fun and rewarding!!!

I plan on it! Thanks so much for your guidance. I've told myself that this will be a long process & I'm not going to rush to get a product out, until I've tested & tested. I will start taking notes down for each product & in each scent on daily, then weekly & monthly intervals, I promise! Thanks again