Do you sell in a store front, home, or online?

leisa2003

Retail store & online. I've never done a show or fair, and don't wholesale or consign. lol, I'm not a "people" person - I'm best left alone to concoct & play in the workshop, and my husband runs the store and explains all the "girly" things to the ladies. They just love that. :D

• 2 months later...

FYI this company offers a way to accept credit cards at craft shows if you already have an online credit card acceptance account by using your existing touch-tone phone. So you won't need two accounts to accept payments and wont need to carry your laptop to the craft show to charge the customer on the spot, you can keep your existing account to charge both online and craft show cards: www.sovai.com

We have done different things at different times. Currently, we have a retail store, a website, consignment in other towns, workshops, private parties, and have done some wholesale. We have done parties, craft shows and more consignment at one time. We started with a store, moved it to our home, bought a building and moved it a few months ago. Currently we also are manufacturing for a cosmetic company, which has been interesting. The main reason we had to move again.

What we have found, is that some things work better than others for us. But for every attempt we made to sell things, to get exposure, something came out of it. Sometimes down the road. A newspaper article after we had moved the business to our home, and a workshop for a 4H group, brought us an account with a new Bed and Breakfast in a nearby city. (Our town is very small.) The owner of the cosmetic company was staying at the Bed and Breakfast and tried our products, became interested. Funny how that works. The Bed and Breakfast hasn't made us much money directly, but indirectly. The Farmers Market was a hugh amount of work, our candles were hit by sunlight and heat and we sold very little. But another vendor led a Girls Scout group, we have had two different workshops for that group. One of the girl's mom takes works at a nursing home in another town, that opened a gift shop. We were invited to carry our product.

So moral of a very long share, trial and error. And not to give up. That every event, every customer is a potential lead to much more. So we try to treat each occurence, even if it seems trivial, as a million dollar venture.

Because, who knows???