Candle Glaze

I used to use an alcohol based candle varnish that was great. It was discontinued when the maker was bought out by a large company. I searched for ages, as did my supplier. Never found anything that worked well enough. I tried a number of wood products, some water based, some oil. They didn't work at all. The milky stuff leaves a layer that looks like saran wrap over the melt pool.

If ever you find a good product, please share the info. I would love to get my hands on some.

Janette

I used to use an alcohol based candle varnish that was great. It was discontinued when the maker was bought out by a large company. I searched for ages, as did my supplier. Never found anything that worked well enough. I tried a number of wood products, some water based, some oil. They didn't work at all. The milky stuff leaves a layer that looks like saran wrap over the melt pool.

If ever you find a good product, please share the info. I would love to get my hands on some.

Janette

Janette,

Yes! The "milky" stuff is exactly the one I am trying to avoid. And yes, that "skin" that it forms is the problem. Do you remember if it was heat-actived or if you could cold dip it? (the milky one)?

Thanks.

Janette,

When you say it didn't adhere well do you mean you would get "blank" spots where it wouldn't stick?

Was this with scented or unscented?

Pete

I only tried it on unscented candles. It would bead up in spots. Pourette told me that they found the same result with it and suggested that I dip it multiple times, leaving time to dry between coats. I suspect that if the candle were cleaned with rubbing alcohol before coating, that may have helped. I never bothered to try as I was unhappy with the performance when burning.

Janette

I only tried it on unscented candles. It would bead up in spots. Pourette told me that they found the same result with it and suggested that I dip it multiple times, leaving time to dry between coats. I suspect that if the candle were cleaned with rubbing alcohol before coating, that may have helped. I never bothered to try as I was unhappy with the performance when burning.

Janette

I have to call a few places and see what I can find out. The oil-based stuff was the way to go. But it smelled to high-heck.

Have to dig around a bit. ;)