single or double wick for 3 1/2"-4" diameter?

Hi Everyone! So I know this wick question is pretty redundant and after tons of researching, I've decided to ask for some different opinions!

I have a wide round jar w/ a 3 1/2" diameter opening; the body is closer to 4" diameter; and 3 1/2" tall. When I got these containers, the store owner said to triple wick with 44-20-18z. (btw, using 4630 wax) However, after testing with these wicks, I've noticed that the candle is def over-wicked! (thanks to all the wonderful expertise advice on this forum!!:highfive: ) The melt pool is too large and too deep w/in such a short period of time! So I know I need to wick down... does anyone have any advice using a container similar to this one whether to use two smaller wicks or one larger wick? I've also come across the wick charts, but they only help to a certain extent.

Thanks so much!! Everyone has been such a big help already in my research!! :D

You could try double wicking that one. I'd try two LX-10's or Lx-12's if you've got them. I don't use zinc wicks so I can't recommend a size using those. I've found that you often get a better scent throw double wicking, rather than single wicking the larger diameter jars.

This may be a stupid question but are you letting your testers burn more than half-way down? The reason I ask is that I am trying to wick a similar jar (although with different wax-testing IGI 4786) and everything I have tried burns out at about the halfway point, but seems way overwicked at the top...fast, deep melt pool. I am now up to 3 lx-14's and 3 cd-6's with no luck. Also, 3 44-24z wouldn't cut it. I can use 1 cd-6 in a jelly jar but it seems a bit hot for light scents if that helps with a reference point for this wax. I just can't figure out the problem!

Just wanted to be sure you were letting them burn down as soon as I saw your post and the similarities.

Beesweet is right. I'm having the same issues in my 10oz apothecary jars. I'm double wicking them and they seem overwicked at the start, then fizzle out mid burn. I've used everything from LX10s-18s..44z..51z and even HTP 83. No luck. I'm still fighting with it! So be sure to burn them all the way down :) Good luck!

Edited to add: The 51z didn't fizzle out, but they had a FMP in about 35 minutes and the jar was HOT! LOL :)

Ah!! well burning them all the way down is one thing i didn't do... i just assumed once over-wicked, always over-wicked! :whistle:obviously not the case! Newbie ignorance...haha! i understand now the significance of different air currents as you burn deeper into the container. Now if my flames don't burn out then i'm back to my original problem. My supplier doesn't carry LX wicks, only zinc cored... so i'll have to find a size comparable to those.

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I'll keep ya posted on my progress... if any!!:grin2:

TA, I am having the same problem with 16 oz. apothecaries as well. The only thing that has worked is 2 51's but the top of the jar being smaller is super hot and the soot build up is quite bad. :sad2: I couldn't imagine using such a large wick since other jars seem to wick smaller with this wax so I'm at a loss where to go next!

Marie, please do let us know your findings. Good luck!

Hi Everyone! So I know this wick question is pretty redundant and after tons of researching, I've decided to ask for some different opinions!

I have a wide round jar w/ a 3 1/2" diameter opening; the body is closer to 4" diameter; and 3 1/2" tall. When I got these containers, the store owner said to triple wick with 44-20-18z. (btw, using 4630 wax) However, after testing with these wicks, I've noticed that the candle is def over-wicked! (thanks to all the wonderful expertise advice on this forum!!:highfive: ) The melt pool is too large and too deep w/in such a short period of time! So I know I need to wick down... does anyone have any advice using a container similar to this one whether to use two smaller wicks or one larger wick? I've also come across the wick charts, but they only help to a certain extent.

Thanks so much!! Everyone has been such a big help already in my research!! :D

hi well i use the same wax iga 4630 and the jar is 16oz and about the same size you have. and i use two 44-24-18z you might want to try this size..