Last discussion on heat guns & pouring temps

Right now I pour at the slushy stage and I get smoooooooth tops all the time. I knew that pouring at hotter temps makes rough tops (no problem). Im producing more and more candles daily (good thing) but it takes such a long time for the wax to cool to the slushy stage. I want to pour at a hotter temp and hit the tops with a heat gun. Does this effect the hot throw?

Well, let me start off by saying that I currently use GL's 70/30 blend, but I am just starting testing with more soy. Im not sure what wax you are useing, but here is what happened to me last week.

I poured up several testers useing EL Mill wax. I poured all of them very slushy except 1. I was thinking like you, just hit it with the heat gun. Well, the more I heat gunned it the worse it looked. :embarasse Also, I noticed I had a lot of air pockets throughout, and I got terrible wet spots, and I didnt have either of those problems with the ones I poured slushy. As far as throw, the cold and hot throw is really nice.

Im not sure if it is just this wax, or if it is soy in general, but the heat gun thing just did not work out. I went ahead and ordered some of the GB 464 to test now, because you can pour it hotter, like 135 I believe I read.

Well, let me start off by saying that I currently use GL's 70/30 blend, but I am just starting testing with more soy. Im not sure what wax you are useing, but here is what happened to me last week.

I poured up several testers useing EL Mill wax. I poured all of them very slushy except 1. I was thinking like you, just hit it with the heat gun. Well, the more I heat gunned it the worse it looked. :embarasse Also, I noticed I had a lot of air pockets throughout, and I got terrible wet spots, and I didnt have either of those problems with the ones I poured slushy. As far as throw, the cold and hot throw is really nice.

Im not sure if it is just this wax, or if it is soy in general, but the heat gun thing just did not work out. I went ahead and ordered some of the GB 464 to test now, because you can pour it hotter, like 135 I believe I read.

I agree with you I use 415 but I did notice that if I use patience and pour at the slushy stage I had a better turn out. I was actually getting frosting after I used the heat gun with reds and purples or I would get a two tone with hot pink. So now I just wait and check the consistancy by sight and temp and it sets great. Otherwise you can't work with soys if you don't have patience.