Tea Tree Oil

pamperme

I KNOW this question was asked and answered and I did a search just putting in Tea Tree..and could not find the answer..I am about to pull out my hair..cause I need to know this by 6 tonight when I start on my brown sugar face scrubs.. we need a hair pulling out icon

how much in ML's would you put in a 16oz batch..I guess I am asking the max you could put in without it bothering someones skin. :undecided

Well, you'll have to do a bunch of customer testing to find out what's going to be the best level - it's not something I'd throw into a scrub right away. It's going to depend on what else is in your scrubs. There really isn't a solid "max" level. It's good for the skin, but in a scrub I'd be careful of anything because you're abrading the skin.

There's been reports of tea tree being a sensitiser. I did find this at wikipedia, and I'll try to find the other article when soapdish comes back online.

"A patch test is advisable before using items containing tea tree oil because in high concentrations tea tree oil can cause irritation and some individuals may experience hypersensitivity since it can be allergenic."

I'd advise caution in a scrub if you are planning to give this to anyone else besides yourself.

Here's one study on the sensitizing issues of tea tree.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10357714&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_DocSum

I love it in other products, but personally I'd give it a miss in scrubs. My opinion only...

Robin thanks for that info..great to read this stuff..

I was thinking because it is good for acne..that it would be nice to put in a face scrub..I personally like using the brown sugar scrubs on my face..but wanted to add the tea tree for the antibacterial reasons..I guess maybe maxing it out is not the best..

what do you personally think would be a SAFE amount to put just to add that little bit of antibacterial stuff to it...I used about 10-15 drops in a 4oz bottle of witch hazel and aloe mix..and it was fine for MY face.. but I dont want to

sensitize other as you say..

see this EO thing just gets me..I personally like FO's better..but I know EO's are better for you..well most of the time anyway.:D

Tea tree is definitely a sensitizer...ask me how I know. :tongue2: I used a soap for a couple of months (on my face). Suddenly and with no warning, I used it one morning and my face turned hot and horribly red, broke out in an awful rash, and took 2 weeks to heal and return to normal. I can only imagine had I used it in a scrub, since abraded skin would allow more through. :shocked2:

Granted, this probably is a rare occurence and I have a customer who has used a cream with a touch of tea tree on her face daily for a couple of years, but I would still be cautious because it only takes one person to have a reaction like mine...

What would I start as an amount for my tests?

For scrubs, 0. Seriously, you're just asking for trouble with TT in a scrub.

The current recommended amount is 1% in cosmetics. See some more info http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/news/ng.asp?id=57604-european-commission-calls

To me that would be high, I'd use .5% at max. For a facial cream or lotion, I'd probably start my tests pretty low - more like .3%.

Plus, I wouldn't talk about any kind of antibacterial benefits, unless you already do that kind of stuff - just know that a claim like that classifies your product as a drug most likely in the eyes of the govt, so you'll need to think how to word it properly. Everybody knows that TT is antibacterial, there's lots of studies, but sure as shooting that moves your product to drug status.

So that also hits the "how far do you follow the FDA laws and where is your personal comfort level in 'breaking' the laws".

Robin thanks for that info..great to read this stuff..

I was thinking because it is good for acne..that it would be nice to put in a face scrub..I personally like using the brown sugar scrubs on my face..but wanted to add the tea tree for the antibacterial reasons..I guess maybe maxing it out is not the best..

what do you personally think would be a SAFE amount to put just to add that little bit of antibacterial stuff to it...I used about 10-15 drops in a 4oz bottle of witch hazel and aloe mix..and it was fine for MY face.. but I dont want to

sensitize other as you say..

see this EO thing just gets me..I personally like FO's better..but I know EO's are better for you..well most of the time anyway.:D

I'm not trying to be a smartA** here, but it sounds like you should really do a bit more research on essential oils or testing products before you attempt to sell them. If you like FO's, go with them--I assume you're confident with their use. The thing with EO's is that they really don't smell as good to some people as FO's do, and there are some people with certain conditions--epilepsy, pregnancy, high blood pressure, etc., who should not be exposed to certain EO's. Not only that, but the thought of someone with acne putting a scrub on their face just sounds painful. I've read many articles advising against using scrubs on acne. Here's a link to just one of them:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acne/DS00169/DSECTION=7

Since facial skin is so delicate, I think it's dangerous to promote using it on the face. If someone's legs get irritated from a scrub, they might not ever bother contacting you about it. But, if it happens to their face, it will probably be a different story!

OK..I don't think I want to dip into EO's yet..scratch that..It is a good scrub without it so I will go with it like it is..I guess if it ain't broken dont fix it right.

Thank you all for being so straight with me on this.. I don't think I want to take the chance with it. ..my ex father in law wholesales tee tree and eucalyptus oils..and he was suggesting this stuff to me..but I have to say with everything I have going on right now..I dont want to do it if I cant do it right.

I might throw a bit in mine just to try it out though.:wink2:

Hey and thanks for the links..I saved them in my b&b info file...for later reference.