candle making jars?

My Disclaimer: (First off, I reserve the right to be wrong!...) :grin2:

With that being said, the mason jars and jelly jars and such that are sold as candle jars are also food jars I would think.

Also, any jar can break, so "never leave a burning candle unattended" is about the best safety feature that I know of. However, it probably not taken very seriously.

If your food jars look to be in good condition I don't see anything wrong with using them for personal use and you could alway set them on something else as an added safety feature such as a plate or a pillar holder.

Click this link for a very good article to read:

http://www.candletech.com/safecontainers.htm

You could start with a flat of jelly jars/canning jars from your local grocery store that are used for canning...these are heat-resistant, and give candles a nice primitive/country/Americana look, if that's what you're going for. You can usually get a flat of 12 jars for between $4-7, around that range. It would be a great starting point. I've even gotten fancy, and bought the quilted round 4 oz. jelly jars from Wal-Mart, or the 8 oz. quilted jars...some jelly jars have fruit shapes in the glass, which can be neat too...especially if you scent the candles with a "jam" or "jelly" fragrance oil, such as Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Raspberry Preserves, Apple Butter, etc.

Just giving you some ideas!