Layered Pillars

I am trying to make some layered pillars. However, I need help when pouring the second layer should I be pouring cooler than the first layer or hotter? I have been reading about poking relief holes in the candle, but what does that accomplish?

Wouldn't that cause the candles to bleed together? Anyone who can give me some direct as to what to do, I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get so that my product will come out good.

TIA

I'd suggest that is more about how hard/soft the first layer is...if you wait too long (the first layer is very hard) they will not 'mesh' well.

If the first layer is still too liquidity, the two layers will just be a blend of the two colors.

I pour my second layer when the first is still hot to touch (the mold is still hot to the touch) but the first layer has developed a thick 'skin' of hardened wax on the surface.

You have to poke relief holes to let any trapped air escape as the candle cools and shrinks, otherwise you end up with air pockets in your candles.

You want to pour each layer 5-10 degrees hotter than the previous so the layers will adhere to each other.

hope that helps

Chris

Won't that cause bleeding? If not, what does cause the bleeding of the colors?

Your colors may bleed if you pour your second layer too soon while the first layer is still too hot. First layer should not be too warm or too cool. You'll have to experiment a little to find out when the best time is for the pillar you are doing. I did one too soon the other day, I didn't have to push too hard on the skin of the first layer for it to move or sink....that is definitely too soon.

hopefully someone else will chime in with what works for them, that's about all I can tell you.

Good luck

C

Well I waited overnight or 8 to 10 hours so I don't think I poured to soon. Maybe too hot?

you waited 8 to 10 hours to do your second pour? If your first layer gets too cool, the hot wax on the next layer can get between the mold and the first layer...causing more undesirable effects and can make it harder to get the candle out of the mold. I wait a couple of hours or more depending on the candle and how hot it is.

c

Well I waited 8 to 10 hours then used my heat gun to remelt the top layer and waited until it was cool again then poured at a much lower temperature than the first.

The problem I am having now is getting out of the mold. I put in in the freezer for about 5 minutes and it cracked. LOL. I figured it would. How long should I have left it in there? Would putting in in the refrigerator work better?

Sorry for all the questions.

Ok, if you left it in the mold that long and used your heat gun, the wax melted and ran between the solid layer and the mold...making it more difficult to get out. At 8 hours you should've popped the first layer out, remelted it and started over. wait 2 or 3 hours, check the thickness of the layer and heat and then pour your next layer. 8 hours is way too long to add another layer....you don't want to reheat your mold or the top of the layer as the wax will run back inbetwee the wax and mold and make things impossible for you. If the candle is complete, just 15 minutes in the fridge should suffice.

HTH

C

Well I waited 8 to 10 hours then used my heat gun to remelt the top layer and waited until it was cool again then poured at a much lower temperature than the first.

The problem I am having now is getting out of the mold. I put in in the freezer for about 5 minutes and it cracked. LOL. I figured it would. How long should I have left it in there? Would putting in in the refrigerator work better?

Sorry for all the questions.