Newbie needin help!

Hi all,

I'm new to making soy wax candles (made paraffin ones for a few years).

I just tried taking a pic of my 1st soy candle with the webcam but it came out rubbish so I'll have to describe it for you....I know you've all got great imaginations!:wink2:

It's 2" x 4" made with Full Moons pillar blend 100% soy wax (u.k supplier) & Ylang Ylang EO (not nearly enough tho'). I've used an unbleached cotton with paper core wick, also from Full Moons, which is their no.8, suitable for a burn diameter of 5cm. I'm really pleased with the look of it, but not the lack of throw, need more EO next time.

I let it cure for a few days but my impatience got the better of me so I've started to burn it.

The wick burns with a slight curl at the tip which seems to be causing the candle to burn unevenly, that is, the area in front of the curl is burning away more quickly than the area behind the curl, leaving a thin shell .

Is this caused by too small a wick or is this a problem with this type of paper core wick?

I'm also trying out the Eco wick range but haven't burnt a candle with one of those wicks in yet so I can't compare...think I might just have to go & try one.

Does anyone have an answer for me?

Sorry this is so long...what I wouldn't do for a digital camera!

Is it a self trimming wick? Like the Eco, it is self trimming ( although I still have to trim, don't know what's up with that.) but it has a natural curl to it. So one side goes faster than the other, but in my experience it catches up.

Hmm, not sure about the self trimming as I do need to trim it myself, I'll get on to Full Moons & find out as it doesn't say on their site.

I've burned this candle for about 12 hours so far, approx. 4 hrs a time, & now have a little over an inch of "shell" behind the wick.

Sorry I'm not much help with soy pillars, mine were disasters. Welcome to the board though! :yay:

The paper core cotton wick shouldn't bend like that. When a wick is called "self-trimming" it means that it curls in one direction so that the wick does not get too tall and have too big a flame. In that regard, it is self trimming. Flat braid wicks are self trimming, like the HTP, ECO, CD, LX, and the numbered raw flat braid wicking used in pillars. One still has to physically trim some of the wick away, but usually it is restricted to cutting away any mushrooming.

HTH! geek :cool2:

Sorry I'm not much help with soy pillars, mine were disasters. Welcome to the board though! :yay:

The paper core cotton wick shouldn't bend like that. When a wick is called "self-trimming" it means that it curls in one direction so that the wick does not get too tall and have too big a flame. In that regard, it is self trimming. Flat braid wicks are self trimming, like the HTP, ECO, CD, LX, and the numbered raw flat braid wicking used in pillars. One still has to physically trim some of the wick away, but usually it is restricted to cutting away any mushrooming.

HTH! geek :cool2:

Thanks for that, it sounds like my wick, I'll have to see how the Eco wick burns now. Early days yet!:)