Discolored melt pool? Could it be the stearic acid?

This is the first time I've used stearic and it seems to have discolored my melt pool. I used 1 lb.- 1242 (139 mp), 2 tbsp stearic, UV, 1/4 tsp mold release powder, and 1/2 oz FO. I have used this combination before but with vybar insted of stearic, and had no discoloration. The candle is light jade, and the melt pool is yellow-ish. I would post a picture but I don't have a digital camera (have to borrow one). Any advice appreciated.

Janette

Are you using Eco wicks?

I had some problem with some of my candles exhibiting the discolored melt pool. Changed out the wick from the Eco's to a flat ply, and have totally eliminated the problem.....

Using Square Braid wick. The candles have been in my very dark living room. After 1st burn, the melt pool was mottled (candle isn't), after second burn the pool was yellow/brownish. I've never seen this before, that's why I suspected the stearic as it is the only thing different.

Janette

I've also heard that it has something to do with oxidation, and the FO's, but I have no idea about that.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I had made some candles with 1343, 3 tbsp/pp stearic, 1/2tsp vybar, ivory dye chip and 1oz/pp FO (Nag Champa). The round one was wicked with an Eco 8, and the ball with a LX18. When I burn the candle, the melt pool gets darker, and sets up as a really dark green. I had made two of each type, and changed out the wicks to flat ply, and the problem went away...... I figured it was the Eco wicks. I tried to burn another candle the other day with an Eco wick, and experienced the same problem. This time the candle was light blue, and the melt pool turned yellowish-green. Another candle that I made the same day, but light green, and wicked with the flat ply, did not exhibit the dark melt pool..... I'm befuzzled :confused:

Perhaps this is just one of those things that occur for no apparent reason. I have used this FO with the same dye before and had no discolouring. When I have time I will test another FO with the same recipe and see what happens. It may just be a freak outcome. Thanks for the replies.

Janette