Adobe illustrator...

Someone please help me...there simply must be an easier way.

How in the world, can I do a 2x4 label layout in adobe illustrator & make it line up in each label area right? I can't copy & paste into word/label setup, it only takes the text.

and I can't seem to line them up right on a page in AI to print off a full page either. I dont really want to always use full size sheets and cut each label.

Anyone have some hints for me?

I don't use Adobe Illustrator.. so this may be bad advice for you, but my suggestion would be to design your label except for the text, and then import the design into Avery. You can add the text there, and lining things up in Avery is really a breeze. It's a free program, and I know.. just another damn thing to download, but I have found that it truely does work well to do labels this way.

HTH :)

Do you have a template somewhere for those 2 x 4 labels? What I would do is bring that into Illustrator.

Then I would create a second layer, and start designing your label on that.

Before you print, you turn off viewing of the template layer, so you won't see the lines.

If you don't have a template, then I'd probably draw one myself. Keep printing and fiddling with it until it lines up with real labels (do it on plain paper). Then save that as a template.

Someone please help me...there simply must be an easier way.

How in the world, can I do a 2x4 label layout in adobe illustrator & make it line up in each label area right? I can't copy & paste into word/label setup, it only takes the text.

and I can't seem to line them up right on a page in AI to print off a full page either. I dont really want to always use full size sheets and cut each label.

Anyone have some hints for me?

What version are you using? I use AI daily.. I'll send you a template if you'd like.

Take care,

Chele

I've had to create my own templates in Illustrator. Measure the placement of each label on your sheet. Measure the margins on the top, bottom, and left and right margins. Now measure the margins between your labels and create the corresponding dimensions on your template in a dark color. Print a sheet and hold it behind the label sheet. That will allow you to see where you are off.

I'm assuming you're experienced enough in Illustrator to know how to use "show ruler" and drag lines and set your starting point at zero. That's really all you need in order to makeyour template. If you've already tried all of this and still aren't having any luck, I don't know what to tell you. The only thing I can think of is that maybe your labels aren't the exact dimensions they are supposed to be, which could be throwing you off. You need precise measurements, and even then you still might have to make minor adjustments because of your printer.

One of the things I discovered is that for the particular sheet I was using, the labels were not perfectly centered. The margins differed from top to bottom. Even though they were off only about 1/16th of an inch, that was still enough to wreak havoc with my labels!