? re: shea oil & aloe oil

OutlandishLady

Doing an inventory of my CP supplies and I have these two I haven't used, and was wondering........

Questions:

1. I'm assuming I can substitute shea oil for shea butter in my CP recipe. Will this affect the outcome in any way?

2. Aloe oil - This isn't shown on the SoapCalc. How can I use this? Looks yummy but I can't figure out what do with it. Use instead of olive or SAO?

Help me out y'all!

http://www.thesoapdish.com/oils.htm

Shea Oil is listed as: SAP Value: NaOH .129

Shea Butter is listed as: SAP Value: NaOH .131

There is a slight difference. Would it effect your batch if you figured the oil in the butter column, most likely not, but that depends on how much you are using and the size of your batch. If you were only making a one pound batch of soap and using 8 oz of shea oil in it, I would say to figure it out by hand just to make sure. Most likely will not cause any issues though.

Aloe Vera Oil is listed as: SAP Value: NaOH .135

If it's not on the list, find an oil or butter that is the same or very near the same SAP and use that one when figuring out your recipe. When you print your recipe out, cross the name of the oil out and write in Aloe Vera Oil so you remember that for future batches. I've never used this oil so I don't know what you would sub it for or not. I couldn't find any other info out there on this oil either, so all I can say is, test it out, if it were me, I would consider it a luxury oil due to it's cost. Maybe keep it at 5% of the recipe and see what you get.

HTH.

Shea oil has had a lot of the stearic acid removed as well as other triglycerides, so it probably won't give you as hard a bar as the butter would.

Shea butter has an iodine value that can range from 55-71 (in one table I have), and the oil can range from 75-90. So if you do a straight sub you'll probably get a softer bar.