ISP's, Direcway etc

I just wanted to share that Direcway bites.

We have had it since December and I swear the down time is far worse that with our old dial up. Now that we have DSL available we will be swithing to that this Thursday.

I had to fight with Direcway to get my money back but I did get it back.

What a pain it has been.

Guest EMercier

If the DSL is Verizon beware. I switched from the phone service to vonage. I also switched my credit card (the old one they wanted to charge me a monthly fee to have) and they still charged me and then all of a sudden they could not charge me, wouldn't take me new information, sent me a letter with account information that wasn't mine. They said I had to get new service because they don't accept debit cards (they say that's why I was disconnected, when it's been that way for 3 years). I went to sign up, they said I had to get a new modem and wait up to 3 weeks for my service and then I had to have a lan line for that.

On to the numerous times I've had to call for tech support or service. I've had people in tech support talk to me like I'm stupid, when I've been messing with computers since I was 5. Also, customer service hanging up on me because they had a bad day! The thing that sucks is the fact that it's either Verizon DSL or comcast cable modem and I don't have cable ( I have Direct TV), another long story with comcast.

it's either Verizon DSL or comcast cable modem and I don't have cable ( I have Direct TV), another long story with comcast.

Just wanted to say that we don't have cable TV, but we do have Cable internet. Our Cable company sells both services or just one. Have you checked to just get the internet service? I love my cable connection :D

Guest EMercier

Yes, but you pay a higher monthly payment if you don't have cable and I don't think it's really worth paying like $60 a month just for internet at home. My BF lives 5 minutes away and I can come to the school and use the net at work. I'm not that pressed, maybe after I move I might think about it.

Interesting! We've got DirecTV, so we've looked at DirecWay as well. Never did it because I'd need it for work, and you can't VPN over a satellite link and get anywhere.. We're on dialup as well..

Don't know if it's any better, but there's another satellite company out there called WildBlue. About 1/2 the $ investment.

I HATE Direcway. We got them in December as well, cause we are out in the Boonies and there is no other option other than dial up, and we have no local numbers. There was no way I was gonna pay long distance charges for being online. Anyway, its constantly down, the speed stinks! They say its super fast, ours is just slighly faster than our dial up was. Plus, you can only download like 130 mb in an 8 hour period (FAP), if you go over, they knock you down to slower than dial up speed. :(

I wish we could get cable or DSL. We just keep waiting for it to come our way. :waiting: