Coconut oil in wax

Hello

Ive been reading  through various threads and often come across coconut oil being used an an additive to candle wax . Can anyone tell me for what purpose it is used and how it works please?. Does it really help with scent throw as claimed by one candle supply website that I have seen?

I've read that some use it to counter lumpy tops and/or wet spots. Im using Naturewax c3 and rarely get lumpy tops, I think the one time that I have was with a lemon FO and I may have poured too cool, this was cured with a blast with a heat gun. Half a teaspoon of coconut oil seems a minute amount in 450 gr of wax. Also, is it the solid Coconut oil or the fractionated oil that is used?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post, but i'm hoping that someone will be kind enough to enlighten me.

Thanks very much

Bramble

I have found that RBD coconut oil/wax along with beeswax when added to Advanced soy wax helps create a smooth top after the melt pool cools. I did try combination of coconut wax/oil and Advanced soy wax and found that it left a rippled top, I also tried a combination of bees wax with Advanced soy wax and found that it was prone to surface cracking after cooling, yet, together in a certain ratio, the top was smooth with only a minor circular wick crack that was visible along with the standard pull away that occurs with Advanced soy wax. I found that the scent throw improvement was minor with some fragrances and negligible with other fragrances. I blend it just to get a smooth top after burning and have long cure times to increase the scent throw. I have tried similar blends with GB/GW 444, GB/GW464 and C3 soy wax but all I ever saw was mottling or flaking in the melt pool which I found unacceptable, so I suspended doing further tests with these waxes. I did manage to get my hands on a pre-blended version of an undisclosed soy wax and coconut wax and the scent throw was amazing but the wax blend had a really low melt point, did shrink and go blotchy, so I never progressed with any further testing. RBD coconut wax stands for Refined, Bleached & Deodorized and is usually solid at room temperature. I also tried fractionated coconut oil but only ever got rough tops after burning.