Very first Candle supply order in place! I could use some advice on Soy Wax & Wick!!

Hello Everyone! This would be my very first post. I have been putting together a few different orders from 2 or 3 different suppliers. Im looking to start off with GB 464 wax. I've done plenty of reviews on wax but Ive decided to pick one wax, learn, and deal with all the ups and downs. Im trying to simplify it right off the bat. I'm a little confused on wicking. I would like to use an all cotton core wax to create 100% natural soy candles. I was told ECO wicks are good to use with the 464. I also was told there are other cotton core wicks, called cotton core wicks LOL:confused:. What??? I would just like to start off with ONE WAX, and the best wicks to go with that wax and I will test test test all the wick sizes until I find what works with the jars I chose. Any advice would be a huge help for this first timer. Thank you in advance!!

Edited by JoanneMarie

Guest OldGlory

Welcome to the whacky and wonderful world of candlemaking! You'll have lots of questions along the way, so keep coming back. We may not have all the answers but we'll have many.

I have been using 464 for more than 5 years and there are lots of options for wicks. Everyone has their own favorites, and mine is the Premier wick. From what I read, it's a lesser known wick, but I love them! I pour 8 oz tins in 464, sq. mason jars, 16 oz canning jars and use either 767s or 790s. There is a size larger than a 790 but I can't remember what it's called, but I have used the larger one too.

Test, test, and then test again. :)

Hi OldGlory

Than you so very much. I cannot express how excited I am to finally be doing this. Its something I've always felt a passion for even though I have never poured a single candle lol!!! But I am ready to do it. This will be my therapy! :) Are the Premier wicks cotton core wicks? I'm not quite sure I know enough about wicks to order yet. I think I need more info. Thanks for your warm welcome :)

Guest OldGlory

Aztec Candle and Soap Making Supplies

They are cotton braided wicks and they work like a champ in 464. They sell a sample pack and will put it in a postal service box if you request it. I live near them so I just pick up my supplies there. But, I used to buy cotton core wicks. When Aztec came out with the Premiers I just thought I'd test a few - and never looked back.

Good luck with your new craft!

I am a fellow 464 user and I also use ECO wicks. As with all waxes and fragrances... testing is key. I believe Lonestar has a decent wick sizing guide on their site...

This is directly from their site and is a good reference point:

Size Recommended Application (diameter)*

ECO-1 Votives & Small Containers ( 1.25" - 1.5" )

ECO-2 Votives & Small Containers ( 1.5" - 2.0" )

ECO-4 Votives, Pillars & Small Containers ( 2.0" - 2.5" )

ECO-6 Pillars & Small Containers ( 2.5" - 2.75" )

ECO-8 Pillars & Medium Containers ( 2.75" - 3.0" )

ECO-10 Pillars & Medium Containers ( 3.0" - 3.25" )

ECO-12 Pillars & Medium Containers ( 3.25" - 3.5" )

ECO-14 Pillars & Large Containers ( 3.5" - 3.75" )

*These recommendations are based upon the wick being used in a soy wax.

I personally found these to run a bit small.. in other words where it says to use an ECO 10 I have to use an ECO 12 to have a good burn pool and throw.

Thanks for taking the time you Justjasen! I was thinking of trying cotton core wicks also. I'm hoping I will start with 464 chose a wick type and stick with the pair for my product when I'm ready. Is this possible? lol I have about 10 FO's on order with Natures Garden Candles and was going to place order with Candle Science for the wicks. All the scents Ive chosen are citrus or herbal. I like clean fresh fruity earthy scents :)

Edited by JoanneMarie

Guest OldGlory

You will have to test each fragrance with wicks because some FOs are heavier than others. And you will have to test each different container with each different FO and wick. AND, you have to test each batch of wax because there can be variances in each batch. I know it sounds like a lot of testing, but you must do it. Keep excellent notes - for example:

Aztec, vanilla bean, 8 oz tin, 6% fo, tested Premier 767 and 790, results - after 4th burn the 767 still did not have a full melt pool, looked like the wick was struggling a bit; 790 gave a full melt pool on the first burn and every burn thereafter. Chose 790.

Aztec, blackberry sage, 8 oz tin, 6% fo, tested Premier 767 and 790, results - on second burn got a full melt pool with the 767. 790 burned too fast, too large a flame, some mushrooming. Chose 767.

Hi JoanneMarie! I would also suggest starting by testing your wicks in only your wax so you can learn how they perform with no FO and get a "baseline" for your wick sizes. I wish I would have done that from the beginning. I've been testing for about 9 months and I think I could have saved myself a lot of headaches if I hadn't jumped into testing multiple FO's right away. I actually had to force myself to stop pouring all of my samples as soon as I got them. I had way too many candles to test and bouncing back and forth between them all was driving me crazy!

So, when you start adding FO, pick one that you really love because you will be smelling a lot of it :) Have fun!!

Emily

Thank you Emily! Excellent point. I keep stressing over the wicks and FO. Is 10 FO's too many to start with?? lol I'm only interested in doing Aromatherapy scents, Fruity, citrusy type candles. I'm dying to place my order! I've chosen the wax, chosen all the equipment, glass jars, now I'm trying to decide on wicks. I want to place my order tonight. I think I'm going to try the ECO wicks with GB 464 and maybe the CD wicks. Oh boy.

You are talking about sample sizes, right? I would go ahead and order them, I would just try to resist the urge of pouring one of each the first day you get your supplies :) But, that's just me. You will develop your own testing system with what works best for you. I was pouring a bunch of scents to start with and then decided I really wasn't getting anywhere so I scaled back to testing 2 at a time. That helped me really concentrate on figuring out my wicking and I found that I made progress much quicker. I was also reading this board constantly so I would find answers to my problems (like lack of hot throw) and realize that I had 10 candles all made up that I didn't add FO at the right temperature! Very frustrating!

With wicks, I started off with the cotton core from Peaks. That's all I used for a while but I couldn't always find one that performed the way I wanted. So, I ordered the LX sample pack and that helped fill in the gaps. I have an order of CD's on the way that I am really excited to try too. I'm hoping that between the three of them, I'll be covered. :) Right now I am just trying to find the best wick with each series and then pick the better of the two to keep with that recipe. Oh boy is right!