Making Layered Candles

I made some layered candles using two jars and I was thinking I had enough wax for both jars, but only had enough wax to fill just one full jar. The other jar was not full at al and I wanted to know how much wax should I use/use per layer to fill the jar.

Take an empty jar and weigh it, then hit the "tare" button on your scale to zero out, weigh the full jar and then weigh the partially full jar and subtract the difference. That's the amount you need to finish the half full jar.

It's good to know the weight of the wax in the jar, that way you know how much to start with. I try to have one or two ounces too much just in case I need a top off (if the temp is a little cooler sometimes I do) and any that is left over goes into tealights, so its never wasted.

I make candles to order so a lot of the times I will make just one of a candle so measuring is pretty important to me. Here is the formula I use.

I weigh my jar and then tare it on my scale. I then fill the jar to where I want the wax line to be and weigh it; this tells me how much liquid weight I will need. So let's say it comes out to 10.5 oz. I then take 10.5 and divide it by 1.125 which gives me 9.33333333 so I then weigh out 9.35oz of wax :) I have found this formula to be extremely helpful and doesn't leave me with excess wax :) I actually made a spreadsheet for the main jars I use so I always know exactly how much wax and FO to use for each jar.