Newbie with questions

TwiHard72

Hello everyone! Obviously, I'm new here, and hope to learn a lot. I've made soap, but have never tried my hand at making any type of candles. I'm really into the wickless...especially the clamshell breakaway tarts. I have spent so much money buying those things, and I'd really like to try to make my own instead. I'm really clueless, and could use some help getting started. Can someone please answer some basic questions for me? Such as...

1. What is the best wax to buy that needs nothing added, other than color and fragrance? I see you all mentioning wax numbers, and I don't know what is what. I'd like it to melt nicely in my warmers. I've seen some mention that there are waxes that are softer than others. What does this mean exactly? Are some types of wax better for clamshell use?

2. For making clamshell tarts, what are the recommended measurements for color and fragrance oil? I will be using liquid color, and want the fragrance to have a good throw.

3. What tools will I need to get started? And is there someplace that has good tutorials for beginners?

4. Where do you all like to order your supplies from?

Thanks so much for the help! I'm looking forward to learning all that I can, and hopefully be successful at this.:smiley2:

I consider myself new but will contribute where I can to some of your questions. I will preface by saying that most, if not all of your questions, really have multiple choice, rather than singular, answers. I have not had success with clamshells (it is likely just me, but they have a skunky smell to the plastic that I cannot get beyond) so I do not pour them. I make individual melts in baking molds and also pour into portion/souffle cups. A TON of folks here do an incredible business with clamshells (I said it was me!) so those ladies and gents can share information specific to them.

1. What is the best wax to buy that needs nothing added, other than color and fragrance? I see you all mentioning wax numbers, and I don't know what is what. I'd like it to melt nicely in my warmers. I've seen some mention that there are waxes that are softer than others. What does this mean exactly? Are some types of wax better for clamshell use?

You will need to decide (Beth is right-read like crazy) whether you want to use soy, paraffin or parasoy (blend of soy and paraffin). The numbers are how you will identify the wax. For example, IGI is a brand. Even if you go to Google and search by number and the word wax, you will get hits that you can use to research. There are pillar waxes, votive waxes, tart waxes, container waxes and perhaps more. Container waxes are typically softer as they are designed to be poured into a container so do not need to be stout enough to stand alone like pillar wax. Like many others, I do better with a blend of votive or pillar wax blended with container wax even though I make tarts. Others swear by tart blends for melts. This is where I have spent a great deal of both time and money. Well, that and Fragrance Oils. I have tested until I am crazy to get a blend that offers me great scent throw and longevity.

3. What tools will I need to get started? And is there someplace that has good tutorials for beginners?

If you have a double boiler, you can start there. If not, a Presto Multi Cooker (called a Presto Pot) can be had at Walmart for under $30 and does a great job of melting wax. You will need a good scale, thermometer, ladle, something with which to stir and a pour pot of some kind (I prefer glass) in which to blend FO and dye before pouring into molds.

4. Where do you all like to order your supplies from?

There are many places and we all have preferences and success with a wide range of suppliers. The type of wax that you choose may also lead you to one supplier over another. Peak and Rustic Escentuals are 2 of my favorites. You can check tutorials/Crafting Libraries there.

All the best to you as you undertake your experiments! It is fun, frustrating, exciting and overwhelming all at the same time (okay, for me anyway!). I second the read, search and read some more approach. Feel free to ask questions as you dive in!

First off there are many waxes you can use. I only use EcoSoya PB. It is my favorite wax. I would just read and read in the wickless section and you will learm much. But you will want to do your own testing to see what wax you like the best. There are tons of suppliers I would start with peaks they have some nice kits you can buy. I also like Candle Science, Just Scent and Natures Garden just to name a few. Have fun with it while your learning.

I second the above- research here on the forum- best way to learn about making candles/tarts and what works well. Keep in mind that everyone has their favorite and what works for them. I took some time and wrote down all the wax combinations I could find for melts- had over 20 combinations! So don't be overwhelmed. You may want to consider starting with a kit. Look at the various websites (Peak, Candle Science, Natures Garden, AH, etc)- many have kits available- that may give you a starting point. I started with a container candle kit from Peaks which was a wonderful way to be introduced to this addicting hobby! The kit comes with all the tools you need to get started which is nice, and usually at a lower price than if you buy it all separately. Most of all, have fun and enjoy! There are so many wonderful people on this forum too that give great advice too- welcome to the forum!

Wow, some very good info here so far, and I so appreciate it! Yes, I have been reading thru many posts here, and will continue to do so.

JustaJesuschick, do you feel that the bad smell from the clamshell containers transfers to your tarts? Do they all have this smell, or is there one place in particular that I shouldn't buy containers from? Thanks again for all the help!

I have never poured in them. I just began making this past year. Prior to that I was a CRAZY buyer from lots of independent sellers and I (along with a bundle of others I have met/encountered through this wild melting wax world) stopped buying clams because so many arrived with the skunky smell. Some so bad I tossed the clamshell, wax and all. I also bought some that after sitting just a few weeks, the bottoms of the clams got soft from the FO. I went to just sellers who offered individual melts or scent shot/cups.

MANY here buy from suppliers who have clams that do not have the smell and are nice and thick so hopefully one will chime in and tell you names of those suppliers.

There is alot of info here for beginners,My word to you that worked for me in the beginning-keep it simple -blending your own wax in the beginning can be over whelming-I started off with a grandular candle tart/votive wax and I learned alot about fragrance oils,that was my main key,with out quality fragrance oils nothing seemed to work well for me.I wish you the best on your new adventure.I wish I had a real answer for you but what works for one will not work for the other-why?who knows!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

There is alot of info here for beginners,My word to you that worked for me in the beginning-keep it simple -blending your own wax in the beginning can be over whelming-I started off with a grandular candle tart/votive wax and I learned alot about fragrance oils,that was my main key,with out quality fragrance oils nothing seemed to work well for me.I wish you the best on your new adventure.I wish I had a real answer for you but what works for one will not work for the other-why?who knows!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

This is TRUE!

I did the same. Just now am blending waxes and also FO's.

I just want to give you a word of warning: It may be cheaper to have a years worth of tarts stashed in your cupboard than to venture into this hobby! :)

If you don't believe me, just ask everyone here!

It is a hobby that sucks you in, hook, line and stinker! But if you choose to go forward, you'll be just like the rest of us who had such silly misconceptions that surely we could make our own cheaper! Aach!, if only we could have all our candle supplie$ $$ back in our savings account..........