Wicks that split?

I got a soy candle as a gift today, so of course out of curiosity had to burn it right away. The wick looks like it splits right down the middle. (rather than curling like an eco wick does)...what kind of wick splits down the middle? It sure had a nice even/steady flame (thought it never did get a full melt pool...how dare she sell these!!...I bet us candle makers are pickier about our candles (and others!), than any candle consumers are!!)

Before I started making candles I was happy when the wick wouldn't drown out. Wasted a lot of money. Now having made candles for friends and family, I get reports that they smell great and fill up the whole house. The fact they burn wall to wall really pleases them and me.

I know I'm more critical about others candles now, simply because I've learned what is a good candle. DW and I went to a huge craft show and naturally I had to check out the candles. My wife made the comment their candles had very little cold throw and were filled to different levels in their jars. Sloppy. Some were pretty pricey at other boothes because of the containers they were in little ceramic pots and stuff. I won't spend $25 for a 10 oz candle in a cute little container just to find out it's not worth $1, because it doesn't burn well at all.

I haven't seen a wick like that. I wonder if it supposed to split or just a fluke. Maybe someone can chime in here and enlighten us.

Keep on Pouring

John

OK...so I burnt that candle a few times now...a few hours + each time...terrible!! Tunneled right down the middle...over half the wax left around the edge. Oh..and the wick ended up just mushrooming eventually. It didn't have too bad of a throw though......glad it was free, especially since only half of it burned!