Labeling Candles with Self Trimming Wicks

That's quite insulting to the rest of us TT. If you're speaking of Stella, she might have been kind to you, but not to some of us. You obviously weren't on the receiving end of her disgusting behavior that was allowed to reign here until she was smacked down by Allan & Vicky in a post.

I do believe you have experience, but hers was in googling & C-3 & Palm.

She was a true southern bully, dispensing her nastiness coated with sugar. I know of several bullies but she was the biggest. How many were turned off by her? Quite a few!

We are all learning together & it's wonderful to be able to share with out fear of being slyly or openly attacked. True gems, how dare you!

Very well said, ChandlerWicks! Thank you! :rockon:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so goddamm mad right now. I don't have a college education & hate writing in case I sound illiterate. I don't have a coporate business background or anything else besides hard work to brag about. As a matter of fact even if I did, I still don't find it necessary to brag. To throw away all of our words as shit or not important enough to help is so fricking maddening I'm beside myself with anger.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

I am so goddamm mad right now. I don't have a college education & hate writing in case I sound illiterate. I don't have a coporate business background or anything else besides hard work to brag about. As a matter of fact even if I did, I still don't find it necessary to brag. To throw away all of our words as shit or not important enough to help is so fricking maddening I'm beside myself with anger.

I don't blame you! Your posts are always very intelligent and well-written, and the information you've shared about your testing is very valuable to the rest of us! You're not the one with the problem! It's a shame that some cowards have to hide behind their computers and make themselves feel important at others' expense!

Such a shame - so many very knowledgeable people have been turned off of sharing years worth of accumulated knowledge, experience and business savvy by bullies. The true gems of advice are in the archives. Information there can be taken to the bank. Not so much in recent posts.

I'm reading this as a reference to posts from the rest of us who have offered our advice in not being info that could be taken to the bank? That is an insult to every person who has posted to help others.

We all know you are referring to Stella with the archives. That is your personal opinion not shared by all. We have said nothing as you referenced it three times now that I'm aware of. Many of us were wise enough to realize much was due to Google results literally copied and pasted to appear knowledgeable.

Also, mentioned above is how nicely this forum has been going in the past almost 1 year now. Telling others what to do with their product is going to put them immediately on the defensive. Offering advice in a friendly, non-judgemental, non-condescending way is well received. Tooting one's own horn is not well received.

Oh thanks HS, they're not, but they're me.

I don't blame you! Your posts are always very intelligent and well-written, and the information you've shared about your testing is very valuable to the rest of us! You're not the one with the problem! It's a shame that some cowards have to hide behind their computers and make themselves feel important at others' expense!

The conclusion I came to about old posts containing solid information was based on hundreds of posts/threads/discussions written based on experience.

I read many posts made just today by people admitting they had not used the wax/wick/whatever but were freely giving their opinion as to how the OP should proceed. As you have written, advice given on conjecture is not worth as much as advice given after actually working with the wax/wick/etc..

How is saying something like "I've never worked with palm, but read somewhere that you should XYZ but I don't believe it", any different than that other member Googling the same information and posting it as their own words?

When I read how a poster solved XYZ problem using fact, repeatable process, bonus for photos, then the advice becomes better than About.com or the various other sites that just copy and paste the same words to boost Google ratings. This is a forum that people rely on to build safe products. Lots of lurkers never post a thing, but silently read hoping to find safe answers to their problems.

It has nothing to do with education.

Please continue writing and offering your opinions. They are written very well and have never came across as anything but trying to lend a helping hand. In candle making it does not take a college education to build a good product. It does take exactly what you have done....hard work along with a long, long time of testing. That is the best experience one can ask for.

I'm reading this as a reference to posts from the rest of us who have offered our advice in not being info that could be taken to the bank? That is an insult to every person who has posted to help others.

We all know you are referring to Stella with the archives. That is your personal opinion not shared by all. We have said nothing as you referenced it three times now that I'm aware of. Many of us were wise enough to realize much was due to Google results literally copied and pasted to appear knowledgeable.

Also, mentioned above is how nicely this forum has been going in the past almost 1 year now. Telling others what to do with their product is going to put them immediately on the defensive. Offering advice in a friendly, non-judgemental, non-condescending way is well received. Tooting one's own horn is not well received.

As above. Advice based on experience rather than copied and pasted from another site is very valuable. Posts that start or end with I read once that... are no different than others who have offended you in the past.

Those who share actual experiments and results are very valued and valuable.

You're so right, Jeanie! People used to be afraid to post comments here during Stella's "reign of terror." It's been so wonderful for everyone to feel comfortable sharing without fear of being attacked. It's obvious from some of her past comments promoting Stella that TallTayl is either in cahoots with Stella, or she IS Stella.

Stella's old comments, from several years back, are from a time when she was asking a lot of questions because she didn't know that much, but eventually she acquired some knowledge and thought it gave her license to whip up on everybody else, especially newbies.

he conclusion I came to about old posts containing solid information was based on hundreds of posts/threads/discussions written based on experience

The conclusion you should have come to is there are many, many experienced chandlers on this forum in the present offering advice. Because we don't often state how long we've been doing this or push our knowledge upon people as how to do things but rather suggest from our experience is IMO the best knowledge available. Reason being is there is no agenda of appearing anymore than we are in knowledge with many times downplaying our experience in an effort to not come off as self righteous.

As above. Advice based on experience rather than copied and pasted from another site is very valuable. Posts that start or end with I read once that... are no different than others who have offended you in the past.

Those who share actual experiments and results are very valued and valuable.

Uh...YOU "are no different than others who have offended" us "in the past."

The conclusion you should have come to is there are many, many experienced chandlers on this forum in the present offering advice. Because we don't often state how long we've been doing this or push our knowledge upon people as how to do things but rather suggest from our experience is IMO the best knowledge available. Reason being is there is no agenda of appearing anymore than we are in knowledge with many times downplaying our experience in an effort to not come off as self righteous.

suggest from our experience

That is my point.

Thanks Jeanie. No I don't need a degree to make candles that's for sure. Proper writing skills is the only thing I'm lacking.

Please continue writing and offering your opinions. They are written very well and have never came across as anything but trying to lend a helping hand. In candle making it does not take a college education to build a good product. It does take exactly what you have done....hard work along with a long, long time of testing. That is the best experience one can ask for.

Proper writing skills is the only thing I'm lacking.

Your writing skills are great. Very non-offensive and friendly. We always get the point you are making b/c they are clearly written in your own down to earth words that are easy for the new people coming along to understand.

Thanks guys, can you see me preening my feathers? HS When you wrote a while back that you had a writing disabillity, I was so shocked. You have an excellent command of the written word! Watch out when Jeanie gets going too.

I'm going to make a cup of coffee & forget I ever got mad.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

• 3 months later...

Is the general consensus that it is or is not alright to leave out the wick trimming note?? When I tried wicking so that the fmp wasn't reached until the 4th or so burn when the candle was untrimmed, the flame never once got out of hand or popped or anything. Is it then ok to eventually market the candle as self-trimming and to advise to only trim when needed?

Is the general consensus that it is or is not alright to leave out the wick trimming note?? When I tried wicking so that the fmp wasn't reached until the 4th or so burn when the candle was untrimmed, the flame never once got out of hand or popped or anything. Is it then ok to eventually market the candle as self-trimming and to advise to only trim when needed?

What kind of wicks were you using?

You could check with the National Candle Association about what to put on your label. They may or may not agree with the general consensus from this board.

Personally, I'm not going to tell customers to always trim the wick to 1/4" if that messes up the performance of the candles because the HTP wicks burn much better when I don't trim them at all. And, another shocking bit of info: I usually start the candle with a 1/2" long wick on the first lighting and it quickly adjusts to the shorter correct size and stays the correct size throughout all the subsequent burn sessions without me ever trimming. But that's only with the HTP wicks, I wouldn't do that with zincs.

Edited by HorsescentS

Yup I have been using 2 HTP wicks or 2 CD wicks and both, if wicked to reach a fmp by the 4th or so burn, have no mushrooming whatsoever. I am almost to the bottom of these candles and have not trimmed the wick once. When I extinguish the flame The wick looks the same as when I lit the candle. I don't even think that they could be trimmed if I wanted to because they end up the correct size from burning. I don't want to open up any legal issues but I also don't want to advise people on my labels to do something that actually will end up compromising the quality of the candle.

Yup I have been using 2 HTP wicks or 2 CD wicks and both, if wicked to reach a fmp by the 4th or so burn, have no mushrooming whatsoever. I am almost to the bottom of these candles and have not trimmed the wick once. When I extinguish the flame The wick looks the same as when I lit the candle. I don't even think that they could be trimmed if I wanted to because they end up the correct size from burning. I don't want to open up any legal issues but I also don't want to advise people on my labels to do something that actually will end up compromising the quality of the candle.

Right. And, I think if you trim the HTP wicks to 1/4" each time you light there may be problems with the wicks drowning, because when I don't trim the wicks they're curved over so they're really longer than 1/4" but the curve makes them about 1/4" high from the surface of the wax +/-.