Liquid Dye Vs. Dye Chips

OK, I am very excited - I just ordered my pillar kit from Peaks, but I have one more thought running through my candle brain. I use liquid dye from Peaks, but I notice that the pillar kit comes with dye chips. My question is this: What is the equivalent of say one red dye chip to one drop of red liquid dye? Or is this just something that I will have to test (the 4-letter T word) to find out? Do you normally use dye chips in lieu of liquid dye for pillars?

OK, I am very excited - I just ordered my pillar kit from Peaks, but I have one more thought running through my candle brain. I use liquid dye from Peaks, but I notice that the pillar kit comes with dye chips. My question is this: What is the equivalent of say one red dye chip to one drop of red liquid dye? Or is this just something that I will have to test (the 4-letter T word) to find out? Do you normally use dye chips in lieu of liquid dye for pillars?
There's no preference for using dye chips in pillars. They're included in the kit for the convenience of beginners because they're easy to use. The chips are calibrated to produce something like a "medium" shade in a pound of wax, which would be more than one drop of liquid dye. The exact equivalence you would have to get by testing. I'm sure it would vary according to color. You can also use more or less than one dye chip per pound of wax if you want a different shade.

Do you normally use dye chips in lieu of liquid dye for pillars?

Depends on your religion. :grin2:

Some folks like liquid, some like powder, some like chips and some just pray to the color gods. All have thier pros and cons. I like liquid; some say it's too messy. Some say the chips are easier to use; I think they're a PITA.

You'll have to get a feel for whichever one you use, to know how much to use.

I use chips, blocks and liquid and some in combination. However, you have to test the colors. Different additives will produce different shades even if you use the same color amounts. So I start with the minimal amount I think will work and the drop some wax on a white plate and let it cool (you can put the plate in the freezer), then I add more as needed - making sure to take notes for next time. hth