Reasons for FO seeping other than amount used?

Other than having used too high a percentage of FO are there any other reasons for FO seeping from the wax? I've seen some candles sold from a local person that constantly have FO seeping. She wipes the FO off and puts the candles back out for sale. I was just wondering if there is ever any other reason that candles/tart seep FO. Do changes in temp. have anything to do with it?

I know my candles can seep when they get really hot (6006 & 223.) A couple of my retailers turn the a/c off at night and when it is really hot, the candles seep. I wish there was something I could do, but when the temp gets over 85, it just happens.
Isn't 85 a little low of a temperature for that to happen?

Bugtussle, the distributers of ADM soy wax have an additive called Pennalite(SP?) It is meant to help waxes hold more fo without seeping. This is a vegetable additive and I think you can use it in all soy waxes. It seems to work really well.

I live in an older house with no AC and during the summer it can get really warm in here. It can get over 85 degrees in my house. My candles have never had the FO seep. But then again, I use straight soy so perhaps that makes a difference? :undecided Did you stir the FO in enough cuz that can cause FO to seep too?

I think it also has something to do with a sudden change in temperature and not always just a warm environment (unless of course it is extremely warm/hot). For example, they have the air conditioning on and it is really cool inside and then when they turn it off it becomes very warm quickly -- going from cool/cold to warm/hot. I bet if the candles were already in the warm temp of 85 (after made) they would not seep. I have heard that soy can be more inclined to do this with sudden temperature change.

I had this happen to me one time -- recently. My house is very cool during the day and cold at night in the winter. I took a candle out of a box from my closet (was very cold to the touch) and set in down by my laptop and later noticed about three sweat beads on top. I know that the beads were not there when I first took it out of the closet. I guess it warmed up to quickly from the blowing warm fan from the back side of my laptop. This is the first and only time so far that this has happened to me with the soy that I use, but I worry of it happening again at times that would not be good. I do remember having a candle made from a paraffin container wax that seeped when I was waiting in a parked car in the summer in a over-head parking structure at the mall. So, I guess even the paraffin blends with certains oils (maybe the heavier ones) can do this too, but I have heard that soy tends to have the problem more.

I wish I had a solution to the problem. I have been meaning to run some tests with 3 different candles -- one with at least 8-9 percent oil in it, one with just 6 percent and one with no FO in it, and see if all three will seep with a drastic temperature change. If I get around to testing this, I will let you know the outcome. I did run test awhile ago with three different candles burning (9%, 6% and no FO) and they all had the sweat on the edges of the unmelted top. But this sweat looked different than the beads I saw on the two candles from a sudden temperature change.

~Holly :)

Kaybee, you know how hot it gets in Texas. Maybe it's a little higher than 85, but when candles get hot, they weep. There was an extensive post on the BC board last summer about candles and heat. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. I will not do a craft show in the summer if it's outside. We keep our candles stored in a heat-humidity controlled building year-round.