This is my first grubby.

Guest primhut

Guest primhut

I've been doing a lot of reading and finally gotten the courage to try a grubby. I've only done soy container candles up to this point, so this is my first attempt at a grubby candle. I used a 3 x 3.5 round mold with candlewics CBL 141 pillar blend and a 24 ply flat braid wick. These pics are after about a 2.5 hour burn. My flame is about 1.5" -2" high and is producing some black smoke. I trimmed the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is normal or should my flame be much smaller? Also my melt pool was about 2" in diameter after 3 hrs of burning, is this about right for this size of grubby? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

grubby.jpg

grubby2.jpg

Your grubby looks real good but I think the flame is too high. I go for about 3/4"-1" flame height but you can't always keep it there after it's been burning awhile...always have to go back and trim. I don't use the 24 ply wicks so I can't really direct you with that sort of wick. What I do use for my 3" pillars is either an LX-28 or 30 or an HTP-104 or 105...and that's with using 4045 wax. I'm sure someone who uses the CBL will let you know what they use...but I still wanted to tell you that you did a very good job.

Like your candle alot. Yes, the flame is high and thats been happening to me alot with flat ply wicks too no matter what formula or size. Although they give a good melt pool, I don't like to have to keep trimming to keep the flame lower. Am currently retrying lx and htp and some square braid.

Great job on the grubbie :D I love making them, fun but messy :grin2: I sometimes use ply wicks with my pillars & I find that no matter what size I use the flame will be large. Keep it trimmed a little smaller & that will help. The size I end up using will depend on what happens after my 3rd or so burn (for instance like a blow out or tunneling).

Guest primhut

Thanks again for all the input, I trimmed the wick down today but I am still getting a high flame this will be my 2nd burn. I do have some square braided wicks, maybe I will try making another one with the square wick and see how it comes out. I appreciate all the info!

I use cbl 141 also, I notice a huge flame with it no matter what wick I try. I usually use a cd14 with a 3" pillar, the wick definately needs to be trimmed to 1/4". I don't notice any black smoke with mine, unless it gets hit with a big draft.

Really love the grubby!!! You did a real nice job!