Adding peppermint leaves to soap?

KMommy

I've seen soap that has real peppermint leaves. I grow peppermint and spearmint in my herb garden. Do I use it in the soap fresh from the garden or does it need to be dry? I have some that is dry and has been stored in air tight containers for use in tea. It seems like fresh from the garden it the oils from the mint would be stronger. I have M&P soap base, at what stage would I add the leaves?

When you're making MP soap and adding things that you want suspended in it, you need to add them when the soap is beginning to get thick..this means stirring the forming skin back into the soap time after time, and requires a watchful eye, because it can happen in the blink of an eye if you don't LOL, ask me how I know! If you add it when the soap isn't quite thick enough most everything will just kind of fall to the top of the bar.. i know that didn't sound right did it? But that's where you'll find it when you unmold...the top of the bar, and nowhere else. I would suggest using dried peppermint leaves, but be aware that a lot of these things will change colors once they are in soap...sometimes brown, and unfortunately, sometimes black.

Thanks! I'll experiment with a small amount just to make sure I don't get brown/black peppermint. I heard that can happen with Lavender so when I used it I just sprinkled it on top when the soap was pretty cool/warm. I only wanted it on the top so that worked out ok.