Is Residue/Wax Hang-Up a Negative for Customers?

Are you talking about residue left on the inside of the container? As in, unburned, unconsumed wax? Yes, I think that most customers are turned off by that. I think it leaves them with a feeling of being scammed somehow, that their money should have bought a candle that consumed all the wax in the jar. I tend to agree - if I'm calling something a 12 oz candle, then it needs to burn 12 oz of wax in order to be a legitimate 12 oz candle. Does that make sense?

If you are consistenty getting hangup, I would consider retesting your candles with a different size wick.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I'm really new to candle making and and appreciate the clarification between hang-up and residue. I thought they were one in the same.

I am using the GW449 and 444 and I'm getting what I now know is a residue. It's like buttermilk on left the side of a glass - if you drink buttermilk like a good southern girl does you'll know what I'm referring to :grin2:

I've wicked up as big as I can go using ECO wicks and the new 700 series. I've been burning a set of candles, now on their 4th - 3 hr. burn and they're looking much better - just a little area of residue clinging to the sides.

I added a about 5% pure Soy to the 449 to see if that helped melt the wax a little easier but it didn't make too much difference.

Linda

If it is leaving just a slight bit of residue or hangup, I don't worry about it. Usually wicking up another size gets it too hot. I also think that my customers are happy that it burns as well as it does. Most had only bought store bought candles to have them tunnel down the middle. They are excited to get a candle that actually burns about 98%.

I do have customers ask DO THEY BURN CLEAN?Mine do.There is no hang up.If there was then I would need a larger wick but have been happy from the beginning with my wick sizes for all 3 jars I use.

Now with my smooth sided mason no residue or the classic or the 16 oucne mason jar.BUT with my 8 ounce JJ(quilted) there is slight residue but a clean burn with NO HANG UP.That is what the people want to know.They don't want half the candle on the sides.

LynnS

I notice that when you have a wick that bends, even slightly, it can burn cleaner on one side than the other. Do most of you just wick up in this situation?

Not necessarily. Keep burning it all the way down to see how the burn is. You get hang up on one side because of the bending action of that wick - its a self trimming wick. It will burn the jar hotter on the side the wick leans toward. If its wicked right, that hang up will catch up. You can also wick the jar to accomadate for this bending.

I don't worry about a little residue on my jars but I would worry about hang up. Thats (hang up) just wasted wax IMO.