A Good Candle?

I would like to ask the more experienced Chandlers out there, in your opinion IS THERE a good commercial candle ( container) available for purchase anywhere? I have been making candles for about a year and now that I know the standards and what to look for in a candle, I can't really say that the candles that have always been my favorites would pass the "good" test with you guys.

I received two kabbalah (Slatkin & Co.) for Christmas. Great packaging, nice cold throw with very unusual but GREAT scents, not as good of a hot throw, weak flame etc....all in all I would say they are burning and remind me of a Votivo candle.

The Diptyque candles were always my favorites but now when I burn them I am thinking about everything I have read, and to see them burning, there are MAJOR flaws. Same with the Tyler. HUGE smoking issues, and have even had droplets of FO on the surface at times. As a consumer, I didn't know the difference and paid top dollar for the SCENT.

Which company do YOU think does a good job? :confused:

Archipelago, Judy Havelka, Root, Thymes, Trapp, Tocca, Henri Bendel, Fresh, Diptyque, Tyler, Slatkin & Co., Eco ??????

Any favorites????

There are 2 companies that in my opinion build good candles: Illume (Ca) and a local for you, Morenci. The Morenci candles are poured in a 12oz status jar and are double-wicked. They use small wicks, so you get a slow-burn. Illume candles are my all time favorites; tins, status jars, great pillars. They burn good & clean, lots of scent, very expensive!

I live in an area where there are 4 major candle mfg's who not only sell their own candles but also sell the major brands. I have bought them all to compare with the ones I make & without going overboard I have found MANY major flaws in their candle designs. I will say though that after experimenting with alot of palm, Aloah candles really impressed me. Other then that, Im glad I make my own:D

Thank you very much for your responses. I have used the Illume and agree that they are a good candle.....very much along the Votivo line. I purchased 6 jar candles from Candle-licious and was very disappointed in them after all the hype on their website. Their patchouli (ish) was a joke...well actually all of them were not even close to being a good candle in my opinion. ( no offense, mking...thats why there are so many companies...we all have different opinions on what we consider to be top quality...and maybe the scents I chose were just the duds)

I have not heard of Morenci but I will be trying them.

If any of you carry a nice contemporary jar candle that are heavily scented with unusual scents, I would love to have your web site address and would like to give them a try when I get through the 10 I have in "waiting". I truly am a candle addict, and in my research for FOs, I have not been able to find really "different" FOs like some of the companies I mentioned above have. I have made some nice candles and receive numerous complements on the throw, but the FOs seem to be similar to what everyone else has.I guess "they" ( Diptyque etc ) either use manufacturers that are different than the suppliers we use, or they blend their own.

Am I the only one that still buys candles AND makes my own too? ( Just to enjoy?) I still have a weakness for buying and trying all the new ones that come out. So many of you do not have your website listed, so I am assuming that you must sell some other way.I wish we had one location for all the web addresses for you guys so we could shop "Candle-Tech".

Michael,

Have you tried any FO's from The Scent Works? I've purchased some very unusual fragrances from them (Malabar Peppercorn, Sardinian Garden Parsley, etc.) and LOVE them. I'm not ready to sell yet, but thought you might like to try to make some candles of your own with these!

• 4 months later...

I've smelled some Home Interiors candles burning at a show, and the hot throw was pretty good. Don't know about the burn qualities though.

I do know lots of chandlers, myself included, have had customers say our candles are better than Yankee's. LOL

Michael, I also like to buy others' candles as well as burning my own. You're not alone! Another place I like for complex scents is Sweetcakes. They have a terrific selection, but the FOs are hit and miss in candles, because they don't review them for wax, only for B&B, and you have to just test to see if it works. I sell their Citron et Figue and Blackberry Martini (a mix of two of their FO that they suggest) as well as a mix of their Yuzu and Mango - they throw great and they are nicely multilayered scents (esp. the first two I named), and I'm very happy with them, you may try them as well!

I plan to send the Citron and Black. Martini in the luxury candle swap, if you can wait that long before ordering some FOs!

I haven't burned any candles from big named companies, so I can't give you any input on that. But I stopped @ a small drug store after leaving my drs. office yesterday. They had several Big Named Candles there, and I was not impressed with what I saw! (where is that throwing up guy??)

The Containers I saw from most, bothered me! Colonial @Home was one (the containers that are oval). Love the jars, but when I opened the jars, the tops were gross looking!! :shocked2: The wicks (to me) weren't placed correctly, and there were deep sink holes in the middle between the wicks, and the wax around the wicks were up high. (Am I explaining this well?) Not something I would want to buy!!, never mind burn. They had tealights, and I had to laugh, as none were close to being filled!! And they weren't uniformed in filling these! The only thing that looked decent was the "Simmer Snaps". I did like the packaging, and they were filled!! I have some filled "clamshells" that were sent to me from Island girl that I personally like alot better!! :drool: (I haven't done these clamshells or even bought any for myself, but I like the way she packages these!)

O.k. so I'm not any help, just ranting about the big names looks and the PRICES!!! We are not charging enough for our HIGH QUALITY CANDLES!! I have converted some customers from these name brand candles!

O.k. back to rest now. I'll just stop typing now....

Steph in tx

Oh, and I just die for Trapp's Frankencense and Rain fragrance, but I haven't actually burned that candle since I started making them, so I have no idea what it burns like...seemed fine then, but as you mentioned, I had no idea what to look for!