For those who make candles & use zinc wicks ??

candleessence

When selling your candles, do you find that using zinc wicks are a turn-off to people. Since they do contain very small trace amounts of lead (not enough to be a health hazard) do you still say they are lead-free? Trying to decide if I should scrap a certain jar I want to use b/c they really only seem to work best with zinc wicks. Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think this would be an issue. Someone who doesn't make candles isn't going to be thinking about what the wick is made of or even realize there are different types of wicks. Someone who does make candles won't need to ask, they can figure it out by themselves. So, I don't usually have anyone ask this question.

Thank you all for your replies. Thank you KMommy, I had no idea & will be the first to admit that I first did a search on zinc wicks & came up with WAY too much, so I took the lazy way route & just posted a new thread :o. That was a great thread though. I guess I will just have to send them out there & see what happens, they burn beautifully. I will keep trying to find an alternative wick though, b/c if Im not 100% comfortable with my product I know it will show and I know there will be someone who will see the metal in a zinc wick & an uniformed "uh-oh, metal wick=lead" light bulb will go on :tongue2:

I've run accross a few people that have heard about the old lead wicks and ask about it. I only use braided wicks, so it's not an issue. If it were, I'd probably just tell them that the Government stopped the production of lead wicks years ago and they now use zinc instead.

I have never had anybody ask me about the wicks either, just the wax and very few people at that. I agree with Fire and Ice about how great they burn. I have tried almost every wick and this is the most reliable for me in my non-soy wax.

I use zinc, and I acommon question IS if they are lead. I tell people they are lead free and are zinc cored. I was under the impression from my suppliers that zinc is "lead-free" which eliminates any amount of lead.

I've only had one customer ask, and the only reason she asked was because she had 2 50 year old parrots and the vet told her that if she was going to burn candles to make sure they were not lead because it would kill the birds. To be on the safe side I told her to either burn them in a completely different room or to wait a few weeks while I retested a different wick for her.. I would feel TERRIBLE if her birds died because of a wick I was using!!

I've never had an issue since. And she did buy and burn the zinc wicks with no detriment to the birds. (whew!) :)