Your opinion on shipping charges

Ron

I live in the SF Bay Area and unfortunately we do not have a candle supply wholesaler/retailer in the area. That being the case, I have to order my supplies online and pay killer shipping charges. As a hobbist starting out in candle making, I am thinking that high shipping charges is going to, if it has not already, be the death of candle making for fun. Am I alone in this thinking?

I'm in Sacramento, so I feel your pain.

Depending on the type of wax you use, www.letitshineusa.com is in Washington but has a warehouse in West Sacramento that I pick my wax up so that helps tremendously.

I'm not sure if you make container candles or not, but there is http://www.calglass-pcc.com/catalog/ in Oakland that carries a few types of glassware.

Well for me..I look around and ask for shipping quotes...I just can not give candlemaking up,,it is too important to me,,,I am a stay at home mom and have Fibromyalgia and rhumetoid arthritis,,,And without this Hobby I would go nuts,,,If I were you I would find the closest place for shipping to you. When I sell my Candles, all my money goes right back in for supplies,,,You just need to weigh it out,,Do you love candle making enough to stick with it or not?? I decided that the shipping is NOT going to keep me from what I love,,,Everything is going up. you just need to weigh it out in your mind...I didnt mean to type out a full page report and I do apologize,,,:D

Think like a business when placing your orders. Get the most you can from one supplier, even if it's across the states to stretch your shipping dollar. Genwax is south CA, but I've never used them so can't vouch for them.

HTH

Hey Bunny,,I went to the grocery store lastnight to buy some canning Jars and I saw a box that said "Genwax" I dont do canning but it says it is for wax on for Jelly's and preserves.. Can we use this wax for candles too if we ahve the additives>> or is it different? TIA,,,

Tish,

Thanks for the Sacramento info. My brother lives in Folsom, CA. I can ask him to pickup a load when he comes to visit. Oakland is a 45 minute drive (as long as it is not during commute hours :D )

Bunny,

I will look into Genwax as well.

Breanna,

I understand your pain. My mom has the same condition. Unfortunately, the strongest medication she can take is Tylenol. My dad told my wife that my mom cries herself to sleep many a nights from the pain.

It does add to the costs. I average about 15-20% in shipping costs since I don't buy in huge bulk yet. For a hobbyist it's harder because you *don't* necessarily want to buy in bulk. As a business it just goes into the budget as a necessary business expense.

You're right, not much in the Bay Area (I grew up in Los Altos)

It's not a cheap hobby, since wax and fragrances are heavy. Best is to stick to the West Coast for vendors if you can. Pourette and Swans Candles in WA, Cierra Candles in NV, Genwax in CA. Specialty Bottle has some glassware for candles, as does Sunburst in Sacramento. There's a Crockett Honey somewhere, forgot the state, that sells wax as well. Sometimes Peak Candle in CO has such good prices that even with shipping it works out pretty reasonable.

Tish,

Thanks for the Sacramento info. My brother lives in Folsom, CA. I can ask him to pickup a load when he comes to visit. Oakland is a 45 minute drive (as long as it is not during commute hours :D )

You're welcome. I know how frustrating it is to find supplies closer to home and I've been looking for years! LOL I've never used Genwax, so I can't vouch for them either.

I order a lot of my FO, additives, etc from Peak. They're in Colorado so the shipping costs/transit times are not too bad.

There's also http://cierracandles.com/ in Reno, but I think they're way overpriced for most of their stuff. They do offer free shipping on orders over $99, but does not include cases of wax. That might be another option for you too...

Hey Bunny,,I went to the grocery store lastnight to buy some canning Jars and I saw a box that said "Genwax" I dont do canning but it says it is for wax on for Jelly's and preserves.. Can we use this wax for candles too if we ahve the additives>> or is it different? TIA,,,

Talk to Garf, I believe he uses wax like this, better yet, do a search in the gallery for his candles. :wink2:

Breanna,

I understand your pain. My mom has the same condition. Unfortunately, the strongest medication she can take is Tylenol. My dad told my wife that my mom cries herself to sleep many a nights from the pain.

Hi Ron and Breanna, (quick off subject note)

I have it too...14 years now. My hands hurt so bad right now, I may have to brace them...can't make candles in braces!

I also have Chronic Fatigue with it...killer exhaustion.

I just wonder why your mom hasn't been given some sort of relief from meds"

I find that the Arthritis Tylenol is a wonder-drug. You can also take Advil with it.

I'm sorry Bre.

I'm sorry to hear whenever anyone is in pain, especially when they have no relief. Let me know if I can help, go private if you want.

Fern-Marie

Breanna,

Hi Ron and Breanna, (quick off subject note)

I have it too...14 years now. My hands hurt so bad right now, I may have to brace them...can't make candles in braces!

I also have Chronic Fatigue with it...killer exhaustion.

I just wonder why your mom hasn't been given some sort of relief from meds"

I find that the Arthritis Tylenol is a wonder-drug. You can also take Advil with it.

I'm sorry Bre.

I'm sorry to hear whenever anyone is in pain, especially when they have no relief. Let me know if I can help, go private if you want.

Fern-Marie

Thank you Fern-Marie for sharing this with me,,Sometimes it can be very overwhelming,, I also get the Fatigue with it,,,I dont sleep well either,,,I take Meds and they had to start giving me Darvocet for my extreme pain,,you know when the Tylenol stops working..( I hate to take anything) I always wish it would go away,,but deep in my heart I know that will not happen, but I try to keep going,,I get depression with it,,Anyway,,Thanks so much,,you too Ron for sharing this with me.

I will keep you in mind Fern-Marie and in my prayers. If you need anyone Im here,,,God Bless You!!!!!!!!!