Electric burner for melting wax?

Our stove has a vent cover that makes it hard to work with melted wax when we're making candles. Electric burners (is that even what they're called?) look like they'd be way easier.

Are they recommended/a bad idea?

If they're fine to use, what brand do you like/know of, and what are they actually called so I can see if someone carries them in a store in town?

Edit: Also, to clarify, I do not mean the big pots, I mean something almost like a hotplate, maybe? I'm really not sure what they're called, but I'm pretty sure what I'm thinking of are flat. :)

Edit 2: Would something like this work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-Single-Burner-Portable-Electric-Range-Hot-Plate-AHP-303/5871070

Do you still need to keep the pour pot off the direct heat if you use one of these? Or can you just set it on there?

Edited by DelphicScorpion

I used to melt my wax in a Presto pot with a spout but now use a turkey fryer. The element is directly exposed to the wax in the fryer and has never been a problem. I use a glass coffee carafe for a pour pot and keep the pot on a double burner with a temp probe in it to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I've used this set up for quite a few years with no problems. HTH

Steve

This is great timing because I was wondering the same thing. I chose a double electric burner over a deep fryer because I could get a double burner cheaper than a single fryer.

What is really the difference in just putting the wax in a pot on the electric burner? The element is hidden, just like a fryer. Temperature controlled, just like a fryer. So yer, I am going to give it a go and see how things go. Considering we never are supposed to leave melting wax unattended anyway it should be fine.

You guys in the US are lucky with prices and such. Corded thermometer here I haven't found cheaper than $50. The fryer was going to cost me $70, not $20 like you guys can get them. And that was on special!

Our stove has a vent cover that makes it hard to work with melted wax when we're making candles. Electric burners (is that even what they're called?) look like they'd be way easier.

Are they recommended/a bad idea?

If they're fine to use, what brand do you like/know of, and what are they actually called so I can see if someone carries them in a store in town?

Edit: Also, to clarify, I do not mean the big pots, I mean something almost like a hotplate, maybe? I'm really not sure what they're called, but I'm pretty sure what I'm thinking of are flat. :)

Edit 2: Would something like this work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-Single-Burner-Portable-Electric-Range-Hot-Plate-AHP-303/5871070

Do you still need to keep the pour pot off the direct heat if you use one of these? Or can you just set it on there?

Why not buy a Presto pot? I think it's much easier and safer than dealing with the double-boiler method.

I think you guys need to read this

http://www.candletech.com/candle-making-basics/wax-melting-instructions/

There is not a supplier out there that will recommend putting a melting pot on direct heat.

People do dangerous things all the time and yes they take videos and it leads people to think it okay to do it.

Honestly guys a lot of us use turkey fryers and presto pots to melt wax but neither is really safe because neither is made for melting wax. But with those 2 at least you have more control with the heat because of the kind of temp controls both have. Stoves and hot plate usually have low medium and high not a lot of control there.

Honestly with melting wax in a double boiler or on direct heat on a hot plate it not that big of a differance in melting times. Where time really comes in to play it larger batchs and bigger melters.

Water jacket wax melters are the best way to go, but are expensive and the one I have is too big for basic orders. Double boilers is the next safest way as long as it is being heated with something that has a temp control. I just do not like the steam going in the air. Drives me nuts! I have a turkey roaster that I use for my main wax but I still like my double boiler method with my presto pots to control the temp of the wax that I have measured out to the temp I want before I pour the fragrance oil in. I just can't seem to get away from it. I trust the water more than a flat electric plate that I would be turning up and down all the time...afraid I may make a mistake and it gets too hot. I also sometimes have two types of wax that I need to melt. I need to get the spikots on my presto pots for this. Although, there is so much mineral deposit build up in the presto pots, I would most likely need to get new ones. Not sure.

Vicky, that is exactly how I have felt all this time and still using the water in the presto pots. I even would worry about putting the wax directly in the presto pot like many do when they have added the spigot. The turkery roaster can be dangerous too. It is not totally direct...has a pan inside...but it could get too hot if something went wrong...accidentally put the temp up too high...they get hot. I have only used the roaster when I got big orders (but not quite big enough to heat my actual 100 lb. wax melter up) and have been soooooo careful. How do you work it?

Edited by Holly

Since I got the pancake griddle for a warming tray, I do not want to turn it up high enough to reheat the measured wax back up because I am afraid I will forget to turn it back down and then the other pots on there that are kept warm will get way to hot. It just makes me uncomfortable. When I put the measured wax in the pot inside the presto pot with water, it will reheat really fast without a worry and even if I left it on by accident it is just water, plus it is very noticeable when the water is really hot....easy to remember to turn it back down. I don't even have to turn it up to 250 to heat it real fast. Water is great! Hate the steam but works well.

Edited by Holly

I have the little legged stand that goes in the presto pot not only for pots that need lifted so the handle can reach over the side of the presto pot, but it is also good if for some reason I forget to add water and it dries out. This way the pot is not directly on the bottom of the presto pot. After the wax is melted, I turn it to warm, but you never know....one can get busy and forget stuff and I have to leave the shop on and off.

Edited by Holly

Vicky, that is exactly how I have felt all this time and still using the water in the presto pots. I even would worry about putting the wax directly in the presto pot like many do when they have added the spigot. The turkery roaster can be dangerous too. It is not totally direct...has a pan inside...but it could get too hot if something went wrong...accidentally put the temp up too high...they get hot. I have only used the roaster when I got big orders and have been soooooo careful. How do you work it?

I have several thing going depending on what I am doing I have a coogar melter it is direct but but not like a presto or turkey melter it is digtally control and has a fuse that if an eletrical problem happens it will blow and shut the hole system down I use that for my soys. I do use double boiler for doing small batches and beeswax. I have a roaster for straight paraffin I do have the turkey fryer and will use it if I know I can be on top of it all the time I prefer not to use it, I have to be making a lot of candles for me to break that out. I have 3 fire extinguishers with in close reach.

Edited by Vicky_CO

I have several thing going depending on what I am doing I have a coogar melter it is direct but but not like a presto or turkey melter it is digtally control and has a fuse that if an eletrical problem happens it will blow and shut the hole system down I use that for my soys. I do use double boiler for doing small batches and beeswax. I have a roaster for straight paraffin I do have the turkey fryer and will use it if I know I can be on top of it all the time I prefer not to use it I have to be making a lot of candle for me to break that out. I have 3 fire extinguishers with in close reach.

Sounds like you have a system as well. :) My turkey roaster has a control but not digital and does not have a fuse. That sounds like a good melter you have. Our shop breaker has gone off before though when I have too many things going. Those darn prestos are a high wattage. I have to have an extension cord (for appliances) go from one wall over to the other wall so it is on a different line. What a pain. I have learned how many I can have going now so this does not happen.

Edited by Holly