First CP Soap... I mean, Salt Bar

Grumpy Girl

Well, good, bad, and definitely ugly... here is my very first batch of CP in the form of salt bars. The lye wasn't so scary after all.

I used 100% coconut oil, and the same volume of un-iodized table salt. I think I'll do a 3/4 recipe next time instead of cutting it in half.

It set up very nicely within an hour and a half, good enough to unmold, but I didn't see it gel at all. I don't think I had my oil/lye hot enough for it to do so. I think it was about 100 degrees when I started mixing. But man, did it trace QUICK!

Yeah, I'm hooked big time. :D

Scented with Fresh Rain, and no color.

saltbars.jpg

Very nice. I love salt bars and I think I've finally "got" how to make them, after many failed batches!

The salt stabilizes the coconut oil, thus not drying. Although I can't use it on my face or I feel like a prune but all over it creates a "creamy" lather. Love it! Just don't drop one on your toe:grin2:

Very nice. I love salt bars and I think I've finally "got" how to make them, after many failed batches!

The salt stabilizes the coconut oil, thus not drying. Although I can't use it on my face or I feel like a prune but all over it creates a "creamy" lather. Love it! Just don't drop one on your toe:grin2:

Are you speaking from experience? ouch!:eek:

I think your salt bars look great. This is the first time I've heard of these, thanks for posting:)

This morning the bar was rock hard and completely intact after unmolding. I didn't have a bit of trouble getting it off the bottom of the mold like I was afraid of (it must have been beginners luck).

I couldn't resist and took one into the shower. I have very hard water and it lathered into a nice thick, creamy lather (not bubbly), more like a rich lotion. It rinsed clean, with no filmy/oily residue at all. It wasn't really "scrubby, scratchy" like it should have been with all the salt, but I used table salt and steered clear of the coarser salts. It was really rather nice. My skin wasn't the least bit dry from the 100% coconut oil either and it was really soft.

I've never used one before but the recipe I saw on another board was just too simple and interesting to pass up. I think I'm going to make another batch tomorrow and use a full range of oils, not just coconut. I might even go with some color since I have some oxides now.

I made these several months ago. Used the half round molds. Came out pretty nice. Had to get it in molds quick though. The second half of mix had a lumpier texture and a few air holes. I use it to shave my legs and pits with. Used a energizing scent in mine.

Glo

• 1 month later...

Wow , LUV how white that is.. So your saying the total oils is just coconut? I can do that!LOL Id love the recipe too.. Id also be curious to know which you liked better the straight coconut or the new one your making with different oils.

I make salt bars using 100% monoi and love them! Creamy lotiony goodness but also bubbly and the monoi really comes through.

Salt bars are not meant to be scratchy (except the very first time you use one) - the easiest way to describe them is they get smooth like polished stone. I love them!

Good job!

Jen

• 1 month later...

I never heard of these salt bars. Sounds like an interesting recipe. Can I substitute more moisturizing oils for 100 % coconut oil? Seems like it would be drying.Does this have an exfoliating action,does the salt dissolve in the soap mix? Questions,questions,questions.Can tell we are all getting cabin fever and looking for fun things to make.I am used to CP soap and always trying to get more lather.Any info greatly appreciated.:rolleyes2

Beverly, you can experiment with adding some other oils but you will need at least 50% coconut oil for the salt bars to work. Like Julia mentioned earlier, the salt stabilizes the coconut so it's not drying to your skin and creates more of "lotion" type lather. It doesn't have an exfolitating action or feel (except for the first time you use it). HTH

Thank you, Sherie,for taking the time to answer.I will make a small batch and see what happens.Can I follow the usual lye recommendations for this mix or does it have to be adjusted somewhat? Do most of you add 1 tbsp of sugar per pound of oils to the lye water for increasing the lather? :rolleyes2