Newbie: what is a good HARD wax?

I am experimenting to make organic crayons..

Doing Rescearch I have been playing with soy beeswax and palm wax

I bought I lot off Craigslist and she made palm candles but the palm is like butter soft, I thought maybe it would change after melting an pouring- I didn't- I also tried with vegtible Hardner and it didn't help much.

Any help?

Did you try palm wax for containers or for pillars? I don't know of any "organic" waxes. There are some hard waxes out there (paraffins) but they certainly are not organic. For example, the IGI 4794 is a HARD wax.

Soy oil is generally extracted using hexane. Anyone selling you 'organic' soy oil should be prepared to explain how they squeezed the oil out of the beans in bulk without using hexane. Then, as robertgibbens explained, there is the hydrogenation process to make it into a wax. Bottom line, mass-produced soy wax is neither organic nor all that natural, and creates quite a foot-print on the environment.

If you are hell-bent on making a crayon with organic materials, you can try organic beeswax (not impossible to find but expensive). Compare the cost of the beeswax to organic Melt & Pour soap. If the M&P is cheaper, then mix Organic M&P and Organic beeswax at 50/50 to get a nice, hard crayon that cleans up easily and isn't overly expensive.

Beeswax is the hardest of all. I've seen several online tut's that outline making it into crayons. A beekeeper friend of mine (also an accomplished B&B and chandler) has not had a whole lot of luck with them.

Never tried it but I would think that beeswax would be too hard for crayons. Besides, if you don't have your own, it would be quite expensive.

THe trick is to balance the hard wax with enough soap when melting. Soap flakes are common, but I don't see why CP or M&P wouldn't work once you figure out the balance.