Do different types of mushrooming tell you anything?

I have noticed in my testing I sometimes get different types of mushrooming if you will.

One type looks like a pair of wings formed at the top of the wick.

Another is the wick appears to be frayed, and forming clumps

Yet another is ball type mushrooms/carbon balls.

I use CD and CDN wicks on 464.

I have read that too much FO causes mushrooming, but do specific types of 'shrooming tell me anything more?

What fragrances were used in each type of mushroom?

The ones that are growing wings are:

Wild Mountain Honey

Coconut Lime Verbana

Botanical Orchard

Frayed Clumps:

Amish Harvest

Creme Brulee

Banana Nut

Lavender

Carbon Balls:

I need to look through my notes in more detail, cause now I cant find any mention of this. I remember this early in my testing (diff wicks), but don't recall seeing this with using CDN and CD wicks I use now.

All are from Peak and 1 oz of FO per 15 oz wax.

Edited by Bottlecrafters

I have read that too much FO causes mushrooming, but do specific types of 'shrooming tell me anything more?

You know, I've gotten some weird 'shrooming on candles that had no FO at all, when I was trying to find the right wick for the wax/container. What's up with that? :confused:

I've noticed some differences - not based on fragrances used. It depended more on the tool I used to trim the wick on the first burn. When I used some fairly dull scisors I had hugh mushrooms. The longer the wick the larger the frayed circulat mushroom.

The sharper scissors and toenail clippers grew the wings.

I believe it may have something to do with any damage done to the fibers when cut. Now after I make the trim, I try to reform the fibers into a cylinder... just basically finger pinching the cut end back into a circle. Mushrooms have decreased but still appear.

I've noticed some differences - not based on fragrances used. It depended more on the tool I used to trim the wick on the first burn. When I used some fairly dull scisors I had hugh mushrooms. The longer the wick the larger the frayed circulat mushroom.

The sharper scissors and toenail clippers grew the wings.

I believe it may have something to do with any damage done to the fibers when cut. Now after I make the trim, I try to reform the fibers into a cylinder... just basically finger pinching the cut end back into a circle. Mushrooms have decreased but still appear.

Now I would have never thought of that. Thanks Judy!!! That makes some sense right there LOL.

I agree with Judy that is has something to do with the trimming. I only have about two years experience with candles, but I have noticed that there is the type of mushroom that will go away, and there is the type of mushroom that continues to hang on, and maybe even grow.

From my experience, the type of mushroom that eventually goes away usually disappears within about nine hours of burning (3" diameter container). My theory is that at first, a cut wick will fray and blossom in the flame and make a significant mushroom early on. As it burns, it slowly incinerates those frayed ends until it smooths itself out. Eventually it should trim itself without help. I've seen a variety of mushroom shapes all disappear after this amount of time.

The mushroom caused by FO will hang on and just get uglier by the hour. It might trim itself in a small way, but if you blow out the candle and there's a glowing ember on the wick that smokes for several moments, then probably time to make some kind of adjustment.

It might trim itself in a small way, but if you blow out the candle and there's a glowing ember on the wick that smokes for several moments, then probably time to make some kind of adjustment.

I don't get mushrooms too often but I do sometimes get that glow that hangs on and really sends off a lot of smoke. Usually, I'll end up dipping it in the wax to stop the smoke. Thought it seemed to happen most often with CD wicks. Could be on those I had more FO, I also had a CD wick and didn't relate the two.

I don't recall the formula, but I did think that this 'shroom of last year should be painted and decorated. I was thinking about inventing a new art form of painted mushrooms!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23952[/ATTACH]

I wish craft server had a like button!!

• 3 weeks later...