What are you using to light your candles? Please don't say Fire :-)

Hi:

I bought a Bernzomatic lighter with the flexible hose. I've had it a couple of weeks and it's already on the Fritz. I know from my camping experience that these kind of trigger-lighters don't usually last too long. Damn, and this one had a built in bottle opener.

I switched to using a Bernzomatic blowtorch to light tealights (a lot of tealights) outside during the summer at the campsite. You can turn the flame down low and it's just like a regular lighter and the gas lasts forever and only costs $5 or so for a new tank. Great for outdoor use. Since this particular model stays on until you turn it off, I don't relish the thought of accidentally dropping it or knocking it over indoors. However, they do have a torch on their website that connects to a 1lb tank via a hose. It looks just like a regular lighter except for the hose part. Since the campsite blowtorch has paid for itself 10x over, I may have to take a look at this other model the next time I'm at the hardware store. If I do buy one, I'll post some reviews.

So, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about safety issues regarding the use of a particular lighting method, but just wondered what other people are using to light their candles. Personally, I'm looking for something long-lasting, preferably refillable and reliable.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

I use a trigger one with the long neck - made for fireplaces I think - they're only a buck each

I use something very similar. Long neck with a trigger, has a safety lock on it and is refillable. It also has an adjustable flame. Here in Australia they cost about $5 at Bunnings and I have not needed to use anything else. They are especially useful for lighting wooden wicks deep in the container.

• 3 months later...

Wooden Skewers work well for the super long "can't reach" type. (I'm thinking of my 7 day candles here, long and skinny glass tube). We use the wooden skewers all the time in working with candles anyway, so usually have some sitting around. And I can get them for about a penny a piece.