To Trim or Not to Trim... That is the question...

This is WHY mitigating frosting is so important - not just because of some OCD need for good looks. This is why "embracing the frosting" is a really bad idea. In storage, a candle can swell until it appears that there was never a wick. Melting the candle slightly resolves the issue.

Container soy candles DO have a shorter shelf life than other types of wax. I won't sell an older soy candle for this reason

Some of us prefer our OCD for good looks and others embrace the frosting. It is the choice of the chandler. Why do you tell someone anything is a "bad idea" if it is their choice and nothing is going to be harmed by it except the possibility of some amount of soy swelling if they store it for a long time?

As far as "older soy candles". Am going to beg to differ on that as well. Three weeks ago..give or take...I lit up an old soy candle. It was from approximately 2002-2004. It burned like a champ with amazing HT. There is a post about it on here somewhere. Maybe in your C3 a long shelf life is not desirable but that isn't necessarily true for all soys. In the case of the candle I lit up it was made of 415.

Edited by jeanie353

Just let me know when you get to 14 national championships. LOL

LOL I'll take the pride of that ONE we have any day LOL Heck yall getting way too used to having them ROFLMAO !

(Im trying really hard to deflect the tension ! )

And btw Steve... how much would you charge me to show me the most basic fundamentals of CP ? Looks like Im moving home in the next month or so :( :( :( no offense to the area , but it aint HERE ! LOL )

and Im serious about the teaching me the most basic fundamentals. I want to learn CP , but Im too scared to just jump in it.

Actually, I grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee, so I'm a vol in Tide clothing, lol. It would be my great pleasure to teach you what little I know about the art of soapmaking. Just give me a buzz when you are in the area and we'll get a session first thing, no charge.

Steve

Why do you tell someone anything is a "bad idea" if it is their choice and nothing is going to be harmed by it except the possibility of some amount of soy swelling if they store it for a long time?

I believe that the right to possess and express a personal opinion extends even to me. When I am writing anything, unless I quote another source, what I write IS my opinion. You are free to take it or leave it. I'll stand by what I said.

As far as "older soy candles". Am going to beg to differ on that as well.

I'll just bet you will... :rolleyes2

Two weeks ago..give or take...I lit up an old soy candle. It was from approximately 2002-2004. It burned like a champ with amazing HT.

Excellent!! I have similar experiences BECAUSE I PAY ATTENTION TO FROSTING ISSUES.

No one has said nor implied that frosting impacts how a candle BURNS - it's a cosmetic issue. If you don't mind a customer opening a candle and seeing something that looks like brains, or can't find the wick, that is your choice - it won't impact the burn nor the HT (once the wick is located). I don't make it a practice to sell old candles. I think my customers deserve fresh ingredients.

As far as shelf life, every soy wax manufacturer lists an expiration date for their wax. Generally, it's one year. Under good storage conditions, it can last far longer. Same with FOs, etc. I don't think even the people nitpicking and arguing in this thread will disagree that FRESH ingredients make the highest quality products.*

*(oh god, I've gone and done it again... SOMEONE is going to post that I'm 100% wrong again and they ALWAYS AGE their soy wax and FO before using and that there's nothing wrong with doing that and there is no law that says they can't...)

Candles made with fresh ingredients that are burned within a few months of being poured are generally the best quality. Pardon me if I incorrectly assUmed that we are always trying to make high quality products for sale to customers.

Just more hair splitting. The brief flare up of a wick is not going to speed up a full melt pool. A flare up might last 30 seconds or a minute max and then the extra wick is gone and begins sucking wax. A fast forming melt pool would be due to over wicking the container and even then its going to take some time for that to be achieved. My cow, it takes a few minutes for a full force heat gun to melt the top of a 3 to 4 inch container so how in the world does a lowly wick hasten fmp? More hooey. IMHO

I think it's a load of hooey, too, Steve. That's why I don't do it. Thanks for bringing up those points.

This is WHY mitigating frosting is so important - not just because of some OCD need for good looks. This is why "embracing the frosting" is a really bad idea. In storage, a candle can swell until it appears that there was never a wick. Melting the candle slightly resolves the issue.
No one has said nor implied that frosting impacts how a candle BURNS - it's a cosmetic issue

Now which is it? Make up your mind already.

I believe that the right to possess and express a personal opinion extends even to me. When I am writing anything, unless I quote another source, what I write IS my opinion. You are free to take it or leave it. I'll stand by what I said.
And yes, we are all well aware of those opinions...and.... *google queen* Edited by jeanie353

I had mmy dw believing that Coach Phil Fulmer was my "Uncle Punkin Head", that's what we nicknamed him at family gatherings, lol. She's a rabid Bama fan and despises Tennessee because Fulmer ratted them out to the NCAA. Are you crazy? You can be for any other team here in Bama but not Tennessee.

Now which is it? Make up your mind already.
My mind is very clear on this - I don't understand where yours is, however... All I can suggest is to READ and TRY to comprehend what's being written and communicated, not what you can "make" of it. I freely admit I am particular about the APPEARANCE of my candles (but hardly OCD - that's known as literary exaggeration for comic relief - sorry I confused you), but it's a step beyond "embracing" when we are leaving wicks untrimmed because candles are growing so much in storage that a customer (I'm always worried about that silly ol' customer who paid money for a candle) can open up the candle they purchased and have to hunt for the wick!! Is it DIFFICULT to understand how I might have the OPINION that that's problematic?!! And people worry about WET SPOTS? REALLY?!!!!! :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2
And yes, we are all well aware of those opinions...and.... *google queen*

I am SICK of this. Did you just join this discussion to throw a handful of feces at me? Or were you actually interested in the discussion and the question posed by the OP? Go pick on SOMEONE ELSE because I have had enough of YOUR PERSONAL insults and those of Horsescents as well. Do either of you have any concept of civil discourse? Shall I start calling names and hurling personal insults at you? Shall I make oblique remarks questioning your mental stability? Should I suggest medications for both of YOU? Is this what passes for discussion? Do you even know how to disagree or discuss ideas WITHOUT discussing the posters on a personal level and calling others out like teenagers in gangs? I'm not sure either of you knows HOW to discuss and be civil... :undecided

I'm going to say this once, out loud, in public: GET OFF ME. Please discuss ideas, share opinions about the topics being discussed, laugh, joke, dance, but leave personal comments about me out of the discussion. If others wish to tolerate your crap, that's up to them, but I am tired of ignoring your personal barbs and insults which flagrantly violate the TOS here. If you have nothing better to do with your time than take potshots at Stella, I have some suggestions for other activities for you... and you could do them today... in the privacy of your own home...

My sincere apologies to the OP and other posters engaged in legitimate discussion in this thread.

Are you crazy? You can be for any other team here in Bama but not Tennessee.

LOL I know, and like I said, THAT'S WHY I dont don my orange and blue LOL As you well know, these people take brand new, and I mean off the lot brand new cars and paint them white with a huge T on them... I've seen many houses, that the entire side of a two story white house, was a huge orange T ... I might not like the more rabid fans, but I haven't ever seen them painting their houses crimson and white LOL

I am SICK of this. Did you just join this discussion to throw a handful of feces at me? Or were you actually interested in the discussion and the question posed by the OP? Go pick on SOMEONE ELSE because I have had enough of YOUR PERSONAL insults and those of Horsescents as well. Do either of you have any concept of civil discourse? Shall I start calling names and hurling personal insults at you? Shall I make oblique remarks questioning your mental stability? Should I suggest medications for both of YOU? Is this what passes for discussion? Do you even know how to disagree or discuss ideas WITHOUT discussing the posters on a personal level and calling others out like teenagers in gangs? I'm not sure either of you knows HOW to discuss and be civil... :undecided
I violated no TOS. You are ranting about personal insults being hurled at you, which none were yet at the same time you hurled them in the above post.

It was not a personal insult. It was in direct reference to comments you made about old soy candles and frosting that I took issue with. The right I have, just as you to voice them, ask why you said that and ask why your comments were conflicting.

If the google queen emoticon feels personal to you then I'm sorry but that is not my problem. I choose not to cut and paste often from google searches and you choose to do so....admittedly.

I hurled no names at you. However, I have seen posts where you participated in hurling names at others.

Also, apologies to the OP. I'm done here. Stella, if you wish to discuss this further PM me at any time.

Edited by jeanie353

I violated no TOS. You are ranting about personal insults being hurled at you, which none were yet at the same time you hurled them in the above post.

It was not a personal insult. It was in direct reference to comments you made about old soy candles and frosting that I took issue with. The right I have, just as you to voice them, ask why you said that and ask why your comments were conflicting.

If the google queen emoticon feels personal to you then I'm sorry but that is not my problem. I choose not to cut and paste often from google searches and you choose to do so....admittedly.

I hurled no names at you. However, I have seen posts where you participated in hurling names at others.

Also, apologies to the OP. I'm done here. Stella, if you wish to discuss this further PM me at any time.

That's right, Stella has a history of being rude and nasty on the boards here. She can dish it out, but she can't take it.

The last thing I ever wanted to do, was start a conversation that, in the process of being discussed, would cause so much discord.

I just wanted to know why some curly and some don't.

Sorry.

BTA....It has nothing to do with your thread or you at all. We went OT........Once again, my apologizes to you, the OP

The last thing I ever wanted to do, was start a conversation that, in the process of being discussed, would cause so much discord.

I just wanted to know why some curly and some don't.

Sorry.

It's not your fault. Don't worry about it, it happens all the time.

It's been my experience that not all, but most, customers don't read the instructions on the candles to begin with, and they wont, and don't trim the wicks accordingly in the beginning, or as its burning
Back to your original question, BTA, I feel extremely uncomfortable leaving an oversized wick for a customer. True, some candles might puff up and would benefit from a longer wick, but that would be the exception, not the rule. I am also concerned that some customers might take that extra-long length as how long a wick should be trimmed from there on out. I say, keep it simple and safe; no need to assume your candle is gonna crap out before it's even burned.
Actually, I grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee, so I'm a vol in Tide clothing, lol.
I never knew such a creature existed! Well done! I married a Vol, and until then I was completely clueless about the rivalries. Anyway, we visit Knoxville every year and it has become a second home to me.

Trimmed. I'm a creature of habit and automatically trim my wicks.

I must say the little piggy tail wick curls are cute thou! I did that on some pillars for a while but it became problematic as I do a lot of craft shows and the little curls tend to get beat up looking after packing and repacking from shows. So that became a dinasaur fast and it was back to trimmed wicks.

I've worked with CB-135 and it does have the tendency to swell ... and I did trim to 1/2 inch rather than the standard 1/4 wil no ill effects or complaints. Never went as far as the curly-q. I've seen it on pillars and agree it's cute, and I can understand the problems with transportation.

Top hasn't been here since last May. I'd love to know if he's active on any other forum. Some have said he "had his moments" ... but I found him to be a knowledgeable chandler willing to share and advise without making you feel like an idiot who was doing things totally wrong.