You should figure out what kind of candles you want to make, then pick up a starter kit. None of the books I've seen are very helpful, from what I've seen.

If you know whether you want to start with pillars, votives or containers, you can go back through this board and the archives. You'll be able to get a good idea of which threads to read, from the titles. There's more info here, than in all the books I've seen, combined.

Thing is, that most of what you read won't make a lot of sense, until you start pouring wax. A lot of things that seem totally confusing will become almost painfully obvious, when you make a couple of candles.

The Candlemaker's Companion is a good book to start with.

You should check out your local library and you will probably find a ton of books to look at.

I would also strongly suggest that you spend some serious time reading this board! There is a TON of info here. There is evena serach tool that will prove to be very usefull to you!

Welcome to candlemaking! and the board! Be warned they are both very addictive!!

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

I agree. Decide on the kind and get a starter kit. As rewarding as this is, it can be oh so frustrating and is definately very expensive. Kits will let you get a feel for it before you put too much money into it. Reading through here will give you much more knowledge that any book. From the links on the left, to the tips for newbies (FAQs database) to reading old posts. Better too, is that when you don't quite understand what you've read, you can ask ;)

There are tons of recorces...for a new candlemaker...

the candlemakers companion is the first book to start with...

I would do a ton of reading before tring to start making candles to decide what kind you would like to start with....candlemaking can be an expensive hobby to start with...If you would like to pm me i cand send you a few links to some sites that have great starter kits!

welcome to the wonderful world of candles!

Tara

Heck I like the encyclopedia of candlemaking best. There's another one I've got that I like, but I can't find it to give ya the title. Spend the day at a library or even go and sit in a comfy chair at a book store and check out what they have. You'll see a lot of similiarities in the books.