Anyone who carves candles, please help.

I am looking to find a candle carving kit. Not something super expensive, just something I can play with. I have been wanting to try these forever, just to play with at home. I was pretty sure that I had seen a candle carving kit somewhere, but can't remember where. Can anyone help me?

For the actual carving, you can use the same tools that you use for carving clay. You only need a couple and a paring knife to make pretty much any type of cut you want.

The expensive part is the dipping vats. I was going to pick up a used resturaunt steam table and use either some deep pans or pour pots for the individual colors.

Not exactly what you asked, just thrownig out ideas, since you sound like you don't want to spend a lot on this.

Instead of dipping vats I just make 4" and 6" star tapers and use regular large pour pots for dipping. I dont have the funds to go invest in a bunch of dipping vats yet (maybe later in the year!). They work for now but someday will need to get the dipping vats.

And...I practice with opaque white layers and translucent layers. that way you really arent wasting anything if the candle you are carving looks really really bad and all you want to do is melt it down. And I can tell you my first one looked sooo bad...hahahaha it was almost embarrassing. almost.

Hey, thanks guys. I guess I wasn't really clear. I am good at that!! LOL.. I got a book for Christmas, on carving them, and a video. What I am looking to find is the cutting tools. I am not sure where to find those. And, yeah, I am just basically looking to play on these, I think they are cool looking. I am hoping to bypass the expensive vats, since I don't plan on selling them, just playing ,and finding another way around it. I am just going to start with clear or white ones for now, till I see how bad I am at them!!!

Hey, thanks guys. I guess I wasn't really clear. I am good at that!! LOL.. I got a book for Christmas, on carving them, and a video. What I am looking to find is the cutting tools. I am not sure where to find those. And, yeah, I am just basically looking to play on these, I think they are cool looking. I am hoping to bypass the expensive vats, since I don't plan on selling them, just playing ,and finding another way around it. I am just going to start with clear or white ones for now, till I see how bad I am at them!!!

Try the clay section of your local hobby or art store. The people I've seen do carving have generally just use one of those looped knives and a paring knife, but whatever your video shows, you should be able to find something pretty close. For $30 you should be able to walk out with a nice assortment.

You might want to PM Bruce, as well.

So how did your first one turn out Kim? How difficult is it? And how many before you felt comfortable with them? Any pics?

LOL it was awful! I have a pic somewhere but no idea where it is, i'll look for it. (we got a new pc and my DH is doing some weird virtual server thingie on it and i cant find anything anymore) When I cut down to make the curls i made the slices too thick and made the whole candle look off-center. plus it was made with some colors my daughter picked out, not the right materials anyway, red and purple. funky!

as far as cutting tools go, I went to JoAnn Fabrics on Monday and found the set I use, it is called a Pottery carving tool set, it cost between $5 and $10. I cant remember which but it wasnt too much. It is right by the clay for making beads and such.

and a basic paring knife, one that can be sharpened.

LOL Julie! I don't think I would have the patience for that. I have just gotten up the nerve to play in B&B and pillars. I need to get my pillars the way I like 'em first. Besides I am not sure where in the world I would put dipping vats in my house, LOL! OMG! I would love to get DH interested in it, but no luck so far and he is the type that if it wasn't coming out the way he wanted it to, he would force it into shape, LMAO!

OMG Julie, hadn't thought about! Now THAT would be fun. We could make a party out of it. Oh, the fun we'd have dipping and carving, wax that is :D

I don't think she's thought about it either, but ummmm ... we could always go across the street to the house that's for sale too lol!

DUST!! Those floors will be fine ;)