Things that make you go Hmmm...

If pre-blended wax has everything necessary in it and we need to add UV inhibitor to all candles, why isn't it in the formulation?

The standard pillar size molds are 3.5", 4.5", 6.5" and 9.5" (or 3", 6", etc), Why do the pretabbed wicks come in 6", just short of fitting in the most common size candle??

As for the wax, no blend would please everyone. Not everyone uses a UV inhibitor.

If you were the manufacturer, you'd want the preblend wax to fit the largest number of people possible. You can add UV inhibitor, or a bit of stearin, or whatever, but you couldn't take them out, if you didn't want them.

As for the wicks, I haven't a clue.

As for the wicks, I think that pre-tabbed are mostly for containers, so you most likely wouldn't have one 9" high.

I realize that. The 9" isn't the most popular, as far as I've seen anyway. I was referring to 6" pillars. Granted, you could make them 5 1/2" and use them. I understand that they're designed for containers mainly, but they're used for pillars as well by many people. It just seems like it would be easier for chandlers and not that much more work for suppliers to make them 7" long. I know that I for one would be much more likely to test out other type wicks if the'd fit in the 6" ones.

Dustpuppy, that makes a certain amount of sense. It's just that from what I understand, adding the UV doesn't affect burn/throw/etc so why would anyone object to it being in there, unlike other additives. I know some people don't want to bother with the effort, expense, stocking, whatever to use the UV. Maybe there's something about the UV that I'm missing. I understood it affects nothing except blocking the UV rays. Are there any negatives to using it?

Candle Wick has longer wicks when you go to the wick making part. You pick the tab size, stem size, wick type, size and length. I think 500 is the least you can buy but it maybe 1000 for $35. to $40. for the cd wick. I always get them longer in hopes of tabing the cut off. Use to tab the left overs all the time when I had a job waiting for a customer to come in.

I realize that. The 9" isn't the most popular, as far as I've seen anyway. I was referring to 6" pillars. Granted, you could make them 5 1/2" and use them. I understand that they're designed for containers mainly, but they're used for pillars as well by many people. It just seems like it would be easier for chandlers and not that much more work for suppliers to make them 7" long. I know that I for one would be much more likely to test out other type wicks if the'd fit in the 6" ones.

Dustpuppy, that makes a certain amount of sense. It's just that from what I understand, adding the UV doesn't affect burn/throw/etc so why would anyone object to it being in there, unlike other additives. I know some people don't want to bother with the effort, expense, stocking, whatever to use the UV. Maybe there's something about the UV that I'm missing. I understood it affects nothing except blocking the UV rays. Are there any negatives to using it?

Well, trying to think from the manufacturer's POV; the UV inhibitor would raise the cost of the wax by a few cents per pound. A lot of folks won't want to pay tha extra cost, when they don't want the inhibitor.

You have to keep in mind that most of us are just small fry. $1 per case of wax extra might not affect us but the large, mass producers who buy 1000 cases at a time are gonna shave every cent of cost they can. The manufacturer of the wax would then have to make two seperate blends, or lose sales to thier competition.

Just like most of us limit our scent list to what we know we can sell. We can't stock 100 scents in 10 sizes/shapes just in case one person wants this scent or that.

We're crafters, so we don't have to think so much about spending an extra penny per candle but if you're trying to wholesale to Wal-Mart, or supplying those that do, you have to think of these things.:smiley2:

Yeah, I imagine it's hard to sell candles inside a closet :P

Oddly enough, I've sold quite a few, the past few weeks. Just stuff I've had laying there for the past few months. That's part of what prompted me to get back on this board. It's odd how things happen, sometimes.