Curing beeswax?

My candle experience is with GW 464 so I'm in the habit of curing at least 48 hours before testing. Now that I am trying to make outdoor Summer candles, I am playing around with pure beeswax candles and beeswax scented with EOs.

Any input on how long to cure the beeswax? Searching the forum revealed one recommendation of 24 hours, but it was an old thread and I'm hoping more has been learned since then.

Ha ha ha Jonsie! Beat me to all my intended beeswax experimenting I see =)

I don't know, but if you have EO's in the mix, I think they ALWAYS need at least a week to settle in. I wonder, with beeswax- seeing as it's SO viscous, if it might need even a little longer?

Who knows though. Mostly, my theories are proven wrong in this caper ;)

Hope someone comes along to tell you.

Happy New Year!

Edited by spark-me-up

Most of my beeswax candles are unscented. But, those few customer requests that are scented with FO/EO's are usually out the door 3 days after pouring. I don't have the time to let candles sit and cure for a week or more and after 13 years no complaints yet! :cool2:

I'm in Victoria, so it's like "What Summer?" Damn!!!

What got me interested? Well, it just seems so different to Palm n Soy... I am IN LOVE with it's natural smell & I was going to take a crack with wood wicks. Seems like a good challenge... (I'll be whinging my butt off in here about it in no time, I imagine =D Also, I know peeps are keen to buy these candles. The cost is prohibitive but if you keep them small... plus, many are becoming more cognisant of WHY they cost a bit extra, which helps! I may be able to get my hands on some local- BONUS, but I'm not sure yet.

Having said all this, I read briefly about Walnut & Apricot wax & wondering if candles can be made from the stuff. I like all the obscure waxes it seems!

Anyway, please keep us posted... exciting! Hope all goes well =)

Edited by spark-me-up

I love the smell of beeswax too. The 'naturally bleached' wax pellets I had hardly had any smell, but the block of barely filtered beeswax smelled divine! Makes complete sense what led you to it.

As for the wood wicks... I have been up and down that road, and jay-walked it back and forth a few times. If you have any questions, please PM me. Let me know what type you are using. I started off being completely in love with them, and now I am kinda lukewarm on them. A combination of beeswax and timber wicks would be truly lovely, but a container for that inferno would involve Star Trek IV-type materials.

I am very impressed with your walnut & apricot pursuits. I'd love to hear how it goes. I have a stash of cottonseed wax here that I haven't played with yet if you ever get bored.

Stay warm!

Susan

• 9 years later...

I'm very curious if there are others with experience on curing their beeswax candles. I am fairly new to chandlery and have been pouring beeswax tapers with hemp wicks. I have been letting my candles cure for about a week. However, when I burn my test candles they seem to burn really quickly, and drip A LOT of wax. With my last test batch I tried using a thicker wick to see if it would burn up the wax rather than drip, but it seemed to be the same issue. I thought perhaps I wasn't curing them fast enough. Any thoughts?

TYIA

10 hours ago, jrockey said:

I'm very curious if there are others with experience on curing their beeswax candles. I am fairly new to chandlery and have been pouring beeswax tapers with hemp wicks. I have been letting my candles cure for about a week. However, when I burn my test candles they seem to burn really quickly, and drip A LOT of wax. With my last test batch I tried using a thicker wick to see if it would burn up the wax rather than drip, but it seemed to be the same issue. I thought perhaps I wasn't curing them fast enough. Any thoughts?

TYIA

I have the best, most consistent, clean dripless burns with square braid cotton wicks. 

hemp may not have the ability to draw the thick, viscous wax in balance with the heat it creates at the flame.  The time you note sounds like it is overwicked.

I get about 1-2 hours per inch of typical taper size.

@TallTayl Thank you. I really was hoping the hemp wick would work out. I see others on the market and it makes me curious if they are doing something different. I just ordered some square wicks in hopes of getting a better result. I should mention that I am also using a "dirty" wax from a local apiary. I do filter it, it's just a darker amber color. And the sweet honey smell is beautifully rich. I have not done any test batches with the regular beeswax. Do you think this might be why I'm having some issues? Thanks for your help!

57 minutes ago, jrockey said:

@TallTayl Thank you. I really was hoping the hemp wick would work out. I see others on the market and it makes me curious if they are doing something different. I just ordered some square wicks in hopes of getting a better result. I should mention that I am also using a "dirty" wax from a local apiary. I do filter it, it's just a darker amber color. And the sweet honey smell is beautifully rich. I have not done any test batches with the regular beeswax. Do you think this might be why I'm having some issues? Thanks for your help!

The darker the wax, the harder it is to burn.  That may be contributing to your burn issues, yes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Hummingbird said:

Hi, @jrockey  can I ask if the square braid cotton wicks helped? We are having the same problem in that the wax drips hideously and the candle burns extremely fast. We are using our own beeswax but we don't filter it we just clean it. 

That sounds like one of the following:

-Wrong wick type

- wrong wick size 

- candles too “fresh”. They need several days to harden up for a decent wick test.