What is your best selling size container candle?

I thought it would be the 16 oz apoth. And have spent a little over a year(with a break) trying to perfect this size. And now I am not so sure. I originally started with the jelly and canning jars 8oa but I thought they didn't look classy or nice enough, but as I look around online I see they seem to be popular. Ugh. Im so indecisive. I really starting with way too many FO WICKS AND SIZE. I hate to go back to square one. I am also reading that people wont use the CBA becuase the HT "sucks" I have found with most FO I have tried the, if I get the right wick, usually HTP126 or LX26 in the 4" Apoth. that the HT is great. But I have not really tried other waxes. Well, I tried CS135 and GB464 and HATED the look, didn't really even test most of them for HT cause of how terrible they looked, but that was in the very beginning. Now I am having second thoughts( and 3rd and 4th and 5th :confused:) I welcome any responses here but mostly I just needed to rant.

Sometimes I think this is a million dollar question. LOL I started out with apothecary jars because I thought they looked nice but had a real hard time selling them. Then I switched to JJ and they started selling like crazy. I hated the JJ's but my customers loved them.

I am now using salsa jars and they are doing okay. What I found is that in my area the smaller jars are what are selling. So I have a 9 oz salsa that is my primary candle and its selling very well for me. Sorry but I just could not take the JJ's anymore. The switch to the salsa was just the right trick for me. I also make the 16 oz salsa jars for those that want large candles but the 9 oz jars by far outsell the 16 oz.

Another big seller for me are the 4 oz hex jars. Again I think its because people right now are looking for a smaller cheaper jar so they can still enjoy having a candle without breaking their budget.

So, smaller sizes like 4 or 9 oz jars are selling well here. Larger jars not so well. When the economy gets better I will start making more larger jar candles.

I think alot of it has to do with your area and the price. I found in my area that the 8 oz jj are the most poplular. While I also have them in the 16 oz size, the 8 WAY outsold the 16. I don't even make the 16 oz anymore unless I get an order or special request for it. You are right, there are many classier looking jars out there but here people tend to go with the not so fancy jars. If you are selling in an upscale place yes you'd definately want to go with a classier look. There are some people out there that hate the CBA but I'm not one of them. The right wick makes a world of difference. I first started out with the 464 and hated the frosting and the crusty looking tops after they were burned. I switched over to CBA and never looked back. I've also tried the Excel and liked it alot also. I haven't had the time to do alot with the Excel but since things have slowed down some after the busy season I plan on playing with it more. There are a few of us here that use the CBA but most use other waxes, so you'll not find alot of help or info regarding that wax on here. If you like the CBA and have gotten great HT with it then stick with it. No reason to switch and spend more money on waxes testing b/c many don't like that wax. You may find that you don't like the others and go back to the CBA. If it ain't broke, ya know.

Ecosoya's CBA was designed to make a creamy opaque candle with minimal frosting and smoothe tops. You have to remember that this wax was designed specifically for its looks as opposed to the scent throw.

The CB135 and the new Excel waxes have a much better hot throw. If you decide to keep with the CBA you are going to have to test a buttload of FOs to find ones that work in it. You can check out NGI's website and get some excellent tips for working with their waxes.

I started with CBA and still use it although C3 is now my primary wax...but I too am getting good ht with CBA. If you have your formula down and are happy with the results, then you should stay with it :)

6 ounce tins (candlescience 8 ounce tin with 6 ounces of wax) outsell everything in my line, in fact it looks like 6 ounce tins were about 55% of my business last year (going over the numbers recently) In fact they are so successful I am considering eliminating a larger jar (16 ounce apothecary) and doing another style of 6 ounce at the same price point but with a longer burn time (considering Jelly Jars but need to make them look less country)

Edited by 001

6 ounce tins (candlescience 8 ounce tin with 6 ounces of wax) outsell everything in my line, in fact it looks like 6 ounce tins were about 55% of my business last year (going over the numbers recently) In fact they are so successful I am considering eliminating a larger jar (16 ounce apothecary) and doing another style of 6 ounce at the same price point but with a longer burn time (considering Jelly Jars but need to make them look less country)

Do your tins sell the best because they have a cute label? or because the cost per ounce of wax is the lowest? or because they have everybody's favorite price of $5.00? People will buy anything for $5.00. lol

Do you double wick your 8 oz tins?

I am also finding that people tend to go with the smaller jars in my area. I think with the economy they cannot jusitfy spending more on a larger candle than feeling better about only spending a few bucks on a candle.

I am also finding that people tend to go with the smaller jars in my area. I think with the economy they cannot jusitfy spending more on a larger candle than feeling better about only spending a few bucks on a candle.

However, the 22 oz apothecary jar candle is Yan___'s best-selling candle at $25.00.

Do your tins sell the best because they have a cute label? or because the cost per ounce of wax is the lowest? or because they have everybody's favorite price of $5.00? People will buy anything for $5.00. lol

Do you double wick your 8 oz tins?

The label is the same as the medium and large jars, the price depends on the show, the normal price is 6.99, but I do 5/25 occasionally (normally at lower end shows) I do double wick them, could never get them to burn correctly with a single wick, they are just too short to ever catch up. That is why I was looking at JJ's to add into the mix, I could single wick them and get 30+ hours out of them instead of (give or take) 25 hours.

I am getting more and more people into warming though... I give out the dollar store tea light warmers if they buy 2 or more clamshells at normal price. (3.49 currently, though they may go up 10 cents or so when I get into my custom clamshells, I still have 900 regular ones to get through so it likely won't happen until July or so)

The label is the same as the medium and large jars, the price depends on the show, the normal price is 6.99, but I do 5/25 occasionally (normally at lower end shows) I do double wick them, could never get them to burn correctly with a single wick, they are just too short to ever catch up. That is why I was looking at JJ's to add into the mix, I could single wick them and get 30+ hours out of them instead of (give or take) 25 hours.

I am getting more and more people into warming though... I give out the dollar store tea light warmers if they buy 2 or more clamshells at normal price. (3.49 currently, though they may go up 10 cents or so when I get into my custom clamshells, I still have 900 regular ones to get through so it likely won't happen until July or so)

I think your 5 for $25 deal may be the reason your 8 oz tins are outselling your other sizes. It's that magic 5 dollar price, plus the fact that people like getting a deal.

I'm using the Libbey Elemental jar because it's a 7.25 oz size, but holds aprox 5.3 oz wax, I think. They're 2.875" dia so you can single wick them. Lone Star has them, along with glass lids that fit. But you can buy the jars without lids at Hobby Lobby at 50% off every 2 or 3 weeks when they have their glassware sales, and you can order them by the case at 50% off from the cashier, which works out to 70 cents per jar. I think I've found a silver lid that will fit them, at Gen Wax (I think), but haven't ordered one yet to try.

$25.99....after tax in my state a Y candle is $28.00!!!!

Yep! Wow! So much for our theory that people only want to pay a max of $7 or $8 for a candle. In fact, I was at Target and saw the Yan___ candles they carry, and they had ones that looked like the Libbey Elemental jar with flat glass lid, and were described as 7 oz on the label, and guess how much those little candles cost at Target! $14.99 :shocked2:

Well Yankee has strategic pricing, their 3.7 ounce jars are 10.95, their large jar is 22 ounces and is 25.95 so for $10 more you get almost six times as much. They also often have sales, and their most popular one (buy one get one 50% off) puts their pricepoint at 19.47 each and they often circulate $10 off $50 or more.

Horsescents, we sadly don't have a hobby lobby here (yet) it hasn't really made it to the mid Atlantic/New England area but I am hearing rumors they will be expanding in my market.

As for the 5/25 it is popular when I do it but I believe I only did three shows with that price point and the rest were juried shows for craftsmen/women. Most of my sales come from the larger shows, and then 20% or so online. Even there they choose 6 ouncers, I think they like variety, most orders are over 10 candles and all are a diverse mix of fragrances.

The elemental jars are nearly the same size as the tins (diameter 3 1/8") so there is a 3/8" diameter difference though I will grab some to sample when I order again from my glass supplier.

Yep! Wow! So much for our theory that people only want to pay a max of $7 or $8 for a candle. In fact, I was at Target and saw the Yan___ candles they carry, and they had ones that looked like the Libbey Elemental jar with flat glass lid, and were described as 7 oz on the label, and guess how much those little candles cost at Target! $14.99 :shocked2:

People will pay that much for a "name brand" b/c they think they are getting the best, when in many cases us little people have just as good if not better products. It takes getting those people to actually try the non name brand to see and sadly there are those people out there that will never be convinced that anything can compare or be better than their pricy name brands. I once mistakenly bought the Meijer brand pickles (I always bought Claussen). They were in the refridgerated part, they were right next to each other and they have similiar labels. I didn't even realize it until I had looked at the label (after several days and several pickles later) that I had bought the wrong ones. Just goes to show that name brand isn't always better. The Meijer ones were half the price and they tasted exactly the same. Needless to say I never bought the name brand ones again. Sorry I went a little off subject, just wanted to make the point that the pricy name brands aren't always superior.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the new prices are

22 oz 27.99

14.5 oz 24.99

They also just came out with the Pure Radiance which looks like it has a new kind of wick in it. I will be checking these out next time I am by a Yankee store.