Is a thermometer essential?

I'm quite new to candlemaking. Making and selling wax melts and trying to perfect votive candles. I've always used a thermometer to check when to add dyes and fragrance oils and when to pour. However a question has been asked by someone on a craft website about thermometers and lots of replies said that they didn't use one.

I assumed you had to and now wonder if I'm wrong?

I don't care how " good " or experienced I get at this........ I'm ALWAYS going to doublecheck myself so I can make the best and safest product for my customers that I can. I do understand the statement, in theory, because I do a lot of "eye ball" cooking. ( thats how I learned to cook most things from my grandmothers ), but Im not trying to sell my food either, and the most that's going to happen with it is, a cake might flop or I might put too much salt in something...

JMO

It is important to have and use an accurate thermometer when melting wax. You are working with a volatile substance that has a flashpoint. So one very important reason is for safety.

Your wax also has a meltpoint temp, a heating temp, an additive temp, and a pouring temp. Its hard to do this without a thermometer unless you have been doing this for a very long time or long enough you know what the temps are from a lot of experience. Even when you are very experienced you will still need a thermometer to periodically check your wax to always make sure you have the right temp.

So yes there are several reasons you need an accurate thermometer for melting wax. Personally I would never melt wax without one. Its just like I would never melt wax without a fire extinquisher in my candlemaking room. First and foremost is my safety. You also won't learn what your melting, heating, and cooling temps are without one.

Would you cook in an oven with no temp display? I guess people did in past times but I wouldn't not would I make candles without a thermometer. Yes there are visual cues, wax melting, turning cloudy, smoking, flames shooting from the melt pot and so on but that's not for me.

However a question has been asked by someone on a craft website about thermometers and lots of replies said that they didn't use one.

This should have been your first clue as to the quality of information from that site...

Sure, people melt wax in microwaves, pour it into used containers and stick in a piece of wick they found at Hobby Lobby - what's so hard bout that? We have learned a little in the time since candles were invented, but hey - if people want to stick a piece of rag in a bowl of lard and light it, more power to them!

Whether you are making candles for your own use or to sell thousands at a big craft show, you are making a product with an open flame for personal use in people's homes. That should be taken seriously. If people want to scrape together some rag tag stuff, they can expect a product that is of the same quality. A thermometer is one of the cheapest pieces of equipment needed to produce worthy candles, and BTW, it pays to have several on hand.

• 9 years later...
8 hours ago, Fauxsticks said:

What a bunch of candle snobs. I make candles for personal use and OMG I don't own a thermometer. Lol ya'll think too highly of yourselves 

Hey now- those are my people your calling snobs 

thermometer IS essential - sure some things you can get a feel for and gauge like when to pour but your not doing yourself any favors not using one to heat your wax and adding the fragrance oil - it has nothing to do with thinking “highly” of ourselves and everything to do with making a proper candle that is safe 🙄🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

I've seen so many examples of candles that have an assortment of issues and many of these issues arise because inadequate attention was given to the temperature of the wax ... from melting to pouring.  So yes, if you want things to turn out right, with many types of candles, a thermometer is an essential piece of equipment and it's a very good practice to get a reading on the temperature of the wax.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I've seen so many examples of candles that have an assortment of issues and many of these issues arise because inadequate attention was given to the temperature of the wax ... from melting to pouring.  So yes, if you want things to turn out right, with many types of candles, a thermometer is an essential piece of equipment and it's a very good practice to get a reading on the temperature of the wax.

Bingo

A couple of examples from my own experiences ... when I first started to learn candle making (as a teenager), it was due to a kit I received as a gift.  There was no thermometer with the kit, so the instructions didn't go into temperature too much, although it probably mentioned it, but I don't think my mom was going to give me her candy thermometer.  So, I just melted and molded and fooled with the wax.  I had to put that hobby down for years until I picked it up again decades later.  I became more aware of temperature with making gel candles, if the gel is not hot enough, you'll get too many bubbles.  Then, with soy wax and frosting issues.  And, finally, after all that time, I realized why my first candles (paraffin) never came out shiny ... the wax was not hot enough.  So, there you go.  It's not essential if you don't mind pitfalls, otherwise, I guess you could safely say that it is.  😉

• Like 1