How do you wick ...

now I know this is a dumb question......what does 24-30 fp mean? I have the same molds and am interested in the answer.

it is the size and FP is Flat Braid,,HTH Normally I use a 24 ply flat braid for my 3x6.5 mold,,but for my pyramid I go 30 ply flatbraid,,HTH Oh there are NEVER any dumb questions,,,we are all here to help each other,,,,MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thanks girls, I'l check if I have some 30 ply at home.

I have 50 meters of 48 ply wick, it's too big for a 3" x 9" round mold?

And for a 4" x 4" round mold?

Sorry, these are my first metal mold and I'm not sure about I should do, since I don't have wick pins (don't tell me to get some, in italy there are more green aliens than wick pins!!)

A larger wick will burn off the top more quickly and will require a lot of trimming. You aren't going to get that kind of mold wicked to consume the entire candle. And you'll need to watch for spillage early. It's a given that it will happen with the diameter at the top, but wick for the measurement of the base.

If there's a perfect wick for a pyramid, I haven't found it. For the one you're talking about, a 24 or 30 flat braid will spill a bit for the first third of the candle, it will give a good burn for the second third and leave a pretty big shell at the bottom.

It's kind of subjective from there. Some people want total consumption at the bottom, but then you get more spillage at the top. Some people won't tolerate any spillage, but then you get a HUSK at the bottom.

I have a couple of tapered molds. I was never satisfied with the wicking, so I quit bothering with them. But that's just me. I want a near perfect burn. :undecided

thanks again, since I have the 48 p I'll try with this one first, and I'll see what happens.

I know that non regular shape are hard to wick, and I know that somehow a little wax will spill.

I'll see what I can do.

Dustpuppy sorry I didn't understand the vanilla and unscented pillar...:tiptoe:

Dustpuppy sorry I didn't understand the vanilla and unscented pillar...:tiptoe:

Vanilla is one of the heaviest oils. It causes the candle to burn slower. Often it will need a bigger wick than other scents to burn properly.

An unscented, uncolored candle will burn a bit faster, since there's no FO to inhibit it.

Burning one of each will show you the fastest and slowest that a candle from that mold will burn. Wick them both alike and you'll have a good start point. You can judge from that what most FOs you're used to will need.