If you are selling candles, please put your weight on label!

Wessex

Just a small rant here. Was looking at candles on Etsy, and of the 10 I looked at, ALL were labeled incorrectly. Either no weight listed, or the weight listed was the container measure. If you use a 12 ounce jar, it will not hold 12 ounces of wax (at least all the jars I have ever used). So anyone looking to start selling candles, please please please, label them with the actual wax weight in the candle! Oh, and the burn time is not a weight, LOL. Putting the weight on your label is not only a good idea, it is mandatory.

Sorry, just a pet peeve and could not stand it any longer. Thank you.

Good Idea!

Right now I have mine on the front but that is a good point about people who mislabel them in weight where the customer perceives they are getting more candle for the money with the person using the wrong weight.

Since I'm only beginning to stock up and not selling yet....I think I may semi-custom my warning labels to put the weight on the bottom beginning the 1st of the year.

On a legal side note make sure the warning label is water resistant and not removable, reason being is if it sits in water or can be pealed off they could say the warning label washed off, and/or was removed. This is why the warning labels on hair dryers are at the end of the cord where they have to plug it in. I use a generic one from one of my suppliers and then put my location and net weight on the bottom (address labels are great for this!) If that washes off it isn't as much a problem as the warning.

Warning labels are not actually a requirement on candles. Oh, and as for where you put the weight, there is a requirement on where on the label the weight has to be located. I do not have the labeling requirement website handy, but if you search the threads, I know it is listed many times. They require where to put the weight, but do not require you have a warning label, lol.

The FTC has laws regarding what should go on a label for this type of manufactured product. The link is in a recent post by JudyUSMC, if memory serves. NET weight MUST be on the label. If you express the weight in avoirdupois (pounds, ounces, etc.) you must ALSO include the metric weight value too (grams, kilograms, etc.).

Warnng labels are not currently required. They are a VOLUNTARY standard as well as ASTM standards. The CPSC, FTC, Fire Marshals Organization and other candle industry organizations are hoping to make these voluntary standards mandatory in the near future. Voluntary compliance is easy and, honestly, the standards are less strict than in other countries in the world.

Warning labels are not actually a requirement on candles. Oh, and as for where you put the weight, there is a requirement on where on the label the weight has to be located. I do not have the labeling requirement website handy, but if you search the threads, I know it is listed many times. They require where to put the weight, but do not require you have a warning label, lol.

The way people misuse candles and no warning labels required, huh! Thanks Wessex for the info. Will dig up that info to where the law says we have to post the weight. May not be re-vamping my labels after all.

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure.

I guess the principal display panel would be the front label? It is a little too subjective for me, I mean my labels are removable so the principal display panel is the front label until they take it off? Then it would switch to the bottom label? I guess I will just put it on the front too? I've always put grams on them though so there is no difference there.

Warnng labels are not currently required. They are a VOLUNTARY standard as well as ASTM standards. The CPSC, FTC, Fire Marshals Organization and other candle industry organizations are hoping to make these voluntary standards mandatory in the near future. Voluntary compliance is easy and, honestly, the standards are less strict than in other countries in the world.

Stella, I completley agree! I don't know if anyone knows or not but the ASTM has slightly changed their recommendations pertaining too Fire Safety Labeling. This is just for information, if anyone is interested.

"NEW PLACEMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR CANDLES WITH PACKAGING"

(Must be Placed on the Top or Sides of the Package)

If the Warning is put on the Bottom of the Package, The words "See Bottom Panel For Safety Information" must appear on the Top or Side of the Packaging.

Again, I'm mearly passing on information so don't blame the messanger.

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure.

Kind of vague if you ask me:

Weight or mass - check

measure ????? measure can mean liquid measure.

numerical count - check

I think most consumers would guess it meant liquid measure.

Edited by NaturallyTru

Consumers may think it is liquid BUT we are required to list it by weight. 500.7 "... The net quantity of contents statement shall be in terms of fluid measure if the commodity is liquid, or in terms of weight or mass if the commodity is solid, semi-solid, or viscous, or a mixture of solid and liquid."

And there's more if you continue reading - the weight needs to be in ounces AND grams.

That statement covers all product types. Weight or mass or measure or numerical count, it has to only be one of these depending on the type of product. Measure would normally refer to the size or dimentions of the product and the numerical count refers to how many is in the package like case quantity for example.

"The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure."

Do you really have to weigh each candle individually and be exact? My labels are pre-designed to where I just have to change the scent name before I print and to have to go thru weighing each candle would be a PITA- is approximate weight acceptable?? I use the 8 ounce square mason jar and they generally weigh 7.9 ounces but depending on the fill line which is NEVER exact they can be more or less so I have on my label approx. 7.9 ounces- is this or am I peeving you doing this? LOL

Thanks for the information and I will never use metric either it pisses me off enough that I have to "press 1" for english!

Do you really have to weigh each candle individually and be exact? My labels are pre-designed to where I just have to change the scent name before I print and to have to go thru weighing each candle would be a PITA- is approximate weight acceptable?? I use the 8 ounce square mason jar and they generally weigh 7.9 ounces but depending on the fill line which is NEVER exact they can be more or less so I have on my label approx. 7.9 ounces- is this or am I peeving you doing this? LOL

Thanks for the information and I will never use metric either it pisses me off enough that I have to "press 1" for english!

You should put the minimum weight on the label. Its okay for the candle to weigh more than the stated weight but not less.

okay- very good to know and thank you- I will change my label today to read 7.8 ounces and then do a quick weigh to make sure one is not under and if so I guess I will have to burn it or use it as a gift to family. I try to be exact in my fill line but sometimes it just doesnt work out! LOL

Do you really have to weigh each candle individually and be exact? My labels are pre-designed to where I just have to change the scent name before I print and to have to go thru weighing each candle would be a PITA- is approximate weight acceptable?? I use the 8 ounce square mason jar and they generally weigh 7.9 ounces but depending on the fill line which is NEVER exact they can be more or less
I weigh my candles as I pour them - I don't "eyeball" a fill line. I tare the container, and then pour the exact weight into the container. Sometimes I may be .1 oz. higher, but ALWAYS at least the amount stated on the label.

Regarding label law:

Sec. 1453. Requirements of labeling; placement, form, and contents of statement of quantity; supplemental statement of quantity

(a) Contents of label

No person subject to the prohibition contained in section 1452 of this title shall distribute or cause to be distributed in commerce any packaged consumer commodity unless in conformity with regulations which shall be established by the promulgating authority pursuant to section 1455 of this title which shall provide that—

(1) The commodity shall bear a label specifying the identity of the commodity and the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure, as provided in paragraph (3) of this subsection, and, except as provided in paragraph (3)(A)(ii) or paragraph (6) of this subsection, the SI metric system;

The link to the entire FPLA (Fair Packaging and Labeling Act) label laws (passed in 1966; implemented 1967):

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fpla/fplact.html

Other provisions have been added. The metric addendum was added in 1992.

When were the metric requirements added?

The original FPLA, without a metric labeling requirement, was enacted on November 3, 1966 as Public Law 89-755. It took effect on July 1, 1967. The metric labeling requirement was added by Pub. L. 102-245 on February 14, 1992 and reworded by Pub. L. 102-329 on August 3, 1992, and the metric requirement took effect on February 14, 1994.

What about metric labels without inch/pound units?

With a few exceptions, labels on packages subject to the FPLA must include both metric and non-metric units. An amendment has been drafted that would, if it becomes law, allow metric-only labels as well as dual unit labels.

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/laws/fpla.html

When people go into business to sell products, they are expected to KNOW the laws that pertain to their business and to abide by them. Ignorance or personal preference are not reasons to omit information. It's the responsibility of all manufacturers and business owners to familiarize themselves BEFORE SELLING with federal, state and local laws that apply to their trade. I don't use the metric system much, but I do abide by the FPLA laws. Don't just "ask around," consult an attorney or look up the statutes, etc. There are many links here and on the National Candle Org. site to assist people new to candle making in educating themselves. Edited by Stella1952

These posts point out the glaring stupidity of our government and their regulations. You're mandated to put the weight of the contents of your candles on your label but NOT required to put a warning label on your candles! What kind of lunacy is that!? Who gives a rat's @$$ about how much it weighs? It's the carelessness involved when burning a candle that causes the problems that require us as business owners to carry insurance, not how much a candle weighs. I've never heard of an unlit candle, whether it weighed 2 ounces or 22 ounces, ever burning a house down. It's crap like this that drives me crazy about over regulation.

The law above is a blanket law for all products not one for candles specifically. Candle regulations are always vague, and I think it is partially because of the various types of candles. Jar candles can have warning labels on them, pillars and votives can have them on packaging but as soon as it is opened it is void. To have a law on the books that requires burning instructions would also need to create a standard for burning instructions, and each candle has to be burned differently. It really can't be done "right" it is probably better that it isn't done.