name changing and rebranding :)

Melissa

So.. its a few days before Christmas and if I were already pulling my hair out, I went and made it worse.

Its been almost a year since I legally became a business in my state. The name I picked was sort of rushed and I started off as all natural. I did my first show and was so upset that the people in my area didn't go for the more natural things, they wanted everything smelly.. and lots of it. So I gave in. I ordered more fo's and everything else that went along with it that I could think of. Well.. shortly after that I came across another company that was named the same as mine, with a one letter spelling difference. Ever since then, I haven't been happy and my heart really hasn't been into it.

So... my new years resolution was to turn things around. I started with researching a new name. It reflects what I originally wanted. I'm going to do exactly what I wanted to do in the first place. No 'soap company' in the name.. no color specified in the name. I'm thrilled.. I've already called the Revenue office, local licensing office and my bank. So everything on that end is going to be set when I renew in Feb. Working on the new site already and will let customers know of the change next month, then automatically set current site to redirect after that....

So I guess I'm curious about those that have done this before? Any steps I maybe missing or even just some advice so I come out with all my hair? I just can't say how happy and relieved I feel about doing this. I just don't want to miss something along the way.

Thanks for listening, or reading that is. :wink2:

Start adjustong your website now if you have customers. Tell them something like "due to continued growth you will be meging with ---- after the newyear" so you can ease them into it. Alot of people have different views on name changes etc. they think the old bus went belly up or you are going to make crappier products or there must be some reason other than the real reason things are changing. people are a creature of habbit and it is better to ease them into change. Dont just redirect a website without an explanation that it is gonna happen or they will click the browser off it isnt what they are used to.

I've got something posted up right now about changes with more information to follow. Right now my customers are all local. I only have 3 that actually use the website.. the others just call and don't even bother with the site. :confused:

In Jan. I was going to close the current site without a redirect and with an explaination of what is going on and a link to the new store. Then a few weeks afterwards, do the redirect. I'm actually very happy that my customer base is local and I know them well, so they will understand. Otherwise I would be very very worried if this change would be the death of my business. So I am excited to be doing it now and not later. :)

Thank you very much for your advice :)

Just a thought, but if your customers are all local maybe you could send a postcard to each of them with an introduction to the new name. For example:

Coming in February

"New Name"

Same great products and service,

new look and name!

I dont know it that helps at all, but its an idea for those close to you!

Pam

a name change is a pain in the happy sacks for a business of any size (yet a nice fat marketing budget would surely help!)

but you could view this as an opportunity instead. as well as informing your customers via cards or email of the impending change you could also introduce a new product line or just a simple special offer to existing clients at the same time.

this method would ensure the change isn't just a reactionary move but more of a positive step.