Candy flavoring in lip balm?

donna4909

We have a small amish store in our town, and they carry lots of homemade candy supplies. I was there earlier today, and saw bottles of candy flavoring.

It said it was oil based, and it's edible, so I was wondering if I could try it in lip balm. They had like 10 different flavors.

They also had extracts (lemon, orange, peppermint, etc.). Is extract the same thing as EO, and could I use it too?

We have a small amish store in our town, and they carry lots of homemade candy supplies. I was there earlier today, and saw bottles of candy flavoring.

It said it was oil based, and it's edible, so I was wondering if I could try it in lip balm. They had like 10 different flavors.

They also had extracts (lemon, orange, peppermint, etc.). Is extract the same thing as EO, and could I use it too?

IMO you definately can. I ordered flavoring from NG and was VERY disappointed w/ the strength or there lack of, so I got the same idea but w/ vanilla extract as their vanilla smoothie had no scent whatsever. The extracts are edible so why not. Because I've never used them I don't know how they'll react with your other ingredients. I say give it a try and let us know. :wink2:

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread...but I was hoping that one of you that use this in your lip balms can give me an approximate % or amount you have used with success. I have checked 2 Walmarts and Michaels with no luck. I did find their website http://www.lorannoils.com/ and was thinking of ordering some... but wondering how much I would need to get...I like to start off with small batches but I want to order enough to not get dinged with the small order fee ($0-15 is $7.00 and $15.01-35.00 is $5.00).:undecided

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help you can give me.:D

I can't help too much with your specific amt. q's... but I thought I would just toss in that I very recently bought some Lorann Candy oils from my small town Wal-mart. They were on the end of an aisle back in the craft dept. in twin packs of 1dram clear bottles for about $2. Yellow backing with a plastic case in front. They had many flavors, I chose Cinnamon. And I ended up using more than I thought I would for my test batch of about 4/5 balms. I used probably two capfulls. Which to me seems like a lot given how small these bottles are, lol. But I was going for a STRONG tingly cinnamon. And I'm very happy with it! Tastes JUST LIKE a red hot cinnamon disk candy.

Thank you blazerina. I wasn't sure f it would take acouple drams orless than one. I really appreciatr the help. It seems everyone out in Reno likes Wilton's stuff... that's all they had...wwwaaahhh:cry2: I guess I will look at the flavor oil list again...which is LONG and get a few to try... no to figure out what sweetner to use...

Hi..I also find lots of other supplies in an Amish store I go to. Did you look around at all? I have found bulk sea salts, citric acid, baking soda, cornstartch, and some oils. All really cheap too in bulk. Happy shopping! Ruby

Just for the record- I did not need to use any sweetner. But again, my only experience is with the Cinnamon one- perhaps it's just one of those that you can get by with out a sweet base for it??? I did look at the website though and they have a recipie for balm using their flavor oils and it does not call for any kind of sweetner... of course- i'm not sure that really means anything though since it is often just a matter of preference. :confused: But I guess I always assumed that they already tasted the way they were supposed to taste-out of bottle. But I dunno, lol. Any body used them more and found if they need sweetners with them?

p.s. I did pick up some liquid sweetner called Fasweet- from Wal-Mart jic I needed it for my other Flavor oils that I already had before I seen the Lorann oils. I have not used it yet, but it's an option for you to look into if you find you still need one.