Pillars With Photos

tucker

The pics are attached on the outside of the pillars. They are then sprayed with three coats of KRYLAR and a hole drilled into the top to accomodate a tea lite (those damn tea lites, "I hate 'em") The 'cane in the front is unfinished and at this moment it's in the melting pot, the pic was too light.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7095/piccandles11bv.jpg

WOW Cliff, I think that you're onto something there. Those pillars look great and I'm so thrilled that you've found a use for all your delightful tea lights (chuckle). Did you still use a high mp hurricane wax? And what did you use to drill such a large hole? Come on, come on, more information please. :confused:

thanks for the comments. First off, I used regular pillar wax, I drilled the hole one inch and 3/4 to have space around the (damned tea lite) smile. The hole is deep enough that I put an 1/8 inch round cork in the bottom so the (damned tea lite) wouldn't melt the wax on the bottom. The pix are glued to the wax with stick glue (from Staples) it really works, I've burned several to make sure every thing is safe. It's a go for sure.

Good jub Tucker......I am sure that the people who get them will be thrilled. If you use hurricane wax it won't melt from the tea light and also using plastic cups helps. Did you use tin or plastic? Pourette sells the plugs for the tea lights. About $5.00... Don't have to drill holes. Just screw it into the mold, pour and presto......you have an indention just the size of a tea light or votive. Donita

Tucker, you need to treat yourself with more respect, these candles are beautiful and the hurricane looks great to me. I love your idea for the pillars. I'll have to do an internet search to see what Krylar is made of to see if I can get it here. Well done.

I had to embed a picture on the front of a pillar and a poem on the back, both being oval, and it was a total PITA to try to get both pictures evenly centered. Think I had to do it 4 or 5 times before it was right. I wish I had thought of using a glue stick for them, sure would have saved me some grief. I also drilled a LARGE hole for my tealight, for fear that it would melt the pillar. Then I placed the plastic tealight cup in a glass tealight holder. It was used as a memorial candle at a wedding, so it wasn't lit long enough to melt the wax. I used a forstner bit, it makes a really nice flat round hole.

If you just keep on pouring those tealights you will find they really aren't damned :grin2: